Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / 3D Theory & Graphics / exporting plugin for 3dmax5 - multitexturing Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

zwito

April 25, 2005, 02:05 AM

Hi.

I have alredy written a plugin for 3dmax5 which can export geometry + materials + sub object material,
but I wonder how to export multitexturing data to use in game. When it comes to 3dmax i am
totaly lame and can very few things, i read tutorial called "Modelling level design" which
is included to 3dmax5 package. and there is shown how to do this:
1. creting a simple material(reading in bitmap)
2. clicking on "standart" button and choose "blend"
3. read in second bitmap and set up paramets.

it seems to work. But I have a question: how to export this, exacly:
1. how to check if a sub material is "blend" type
2. how to get "mix amount" parametr indicating the strengh of blending

I 've read the same tutorial from 3dmax4 and there is said to use "composite". What is the difference?
(is it that - blending is good for lightmaps because it blends, ald "composite" for simple texture that dont need to be blend ???)

Is there any simpler method to do a multitexturing?(special plugin or class which suppots it al??

how to make that multitexturing is visible in viewport in max
(i have to make quick render to see results).

I almost forgot: I have to add some extra paramerts for material (in fact 3 fields). And I
wonder how to do that. I see 2 posibiliters: write mateial plugin or write script using maxscript, then data saving to .ini file, and exporter use the ini file to combine all data and create one model file.
Have any suggestion??

have you any linkt to nice www pages about writing plugins? when i google is shown
me up plugins to buy :)

So If anybody know the answers to this questions(or parts) and share it would be great.
maby some www pages about this??

grelle

April 25, 2005, 09:40 AM

Blend material have ClassID: MIXMAT_CLASS_ID. Check plugapi.h for other material ID's.

To extract the material specific parameters you have to parse the parameterblock of that material, because the SDK doesn't provide an API for this material type.

It's not possible to show the blended result in MAX's viewport. It shows the one you select as "interactive".

Check out the samples that are included in the SDK, they are a lot of help. (Especially mixmat.cpp)

This thread contains 2 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.