Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / VS 2003.Net Syntax Highlighting in Non-Cpp Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

Wernaeh

April 23, 2005, 08:22 AM

Hi there,

Just a small question today. Does anybody know whether it is possible to change the types of files that the VS 2003 .Net IDE accepts for syntax highlighting ?

The problem is that I have got a homebrewn scripting language in one of our projects that is quite similiar to C concerning syntax. Consequently, I'd like to use the VS IDE to edit those too, so I don't have to change the editor all the time. However, it seems like there is no way to toggle which file extensions VS uses for highlighting, so I can't seem to get my scripts highlit properly.

I have already read the documentation, tried changing around some of the project options and such, but haven't managed to do it yet.

Does anybody know a solution (or even if this is possible at all) ? Apart from changing the IDE, maybe ? ;o)

Thank you,

Cheers,
- Wernaeh

Erik Torstensson

April 23, 2005, 12:34 PM

Epic apparently has a way to make Visual Studio highlight UnrealScript source: http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/UnrealScriptHighlighting

Perhaps looking at the .reg files there can help.

Wernaeh

April 23, 2005, 01:26 PM

Ah thank you very much =)
Tinkering with the registry indeed helped, as did the provided UDN page.

For those who are interested, the solution is to create a subkey

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftVisualStudio7.1LanguagesFile Extensions.MyFileExtension]

in the registry, and then set

(Standard) = "{B2F072B0-ABC1-11D0-9D62-00C04FD9DFD9}"

(i.e. copy the (Standard) value of the desired, already existing file name key)

Cheers,
- Wernaeh

Chris

April 23, 2005, 02:03 PM

Ah, it's all about being user-friendly, isn't it ?
One couldn't have made it easier to add custom file extensions.
Quick, intuitive, easy-to-use. Thank you, M$.

Fabian 'ryg' Giesen

April 23, 2005, 04:20 PM

If you want easier config stuff, 30 seconds of searching at microsoft.com would have led you to the Visual Studio .NET 2003 Powertoys, and some seconds of reading later you would have stumbled across VSTweak:

http://www.gotdotnet.com/community/workspaces/viewuploads.aspx?id=b9330ea5-096d-45b7-8a5b-17450d7a0d5a

This thread contains 5 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.