Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / 3D Theory & Graphics / skeletal animation Maya exporter Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

mattlikens

April 22, 2005, 11:21 PM

I'm writing an OpenGL 3d engine with hardware skeletal animation. I've written a Maya exporter that exports a skin and its bone matrices at each keyframe. So far, all I get in my engine is a crazy warped mesh. I'm not clear about what matrices to export from Maya, world or local. I believe the algorithm goes like this:

Get the local matrices of all the bones.
Concatenate each bone matrix with its parent bone matrix.

Send these matrices to the cg program with the bindpose verts, weights, and bone indices.

Wouldn't the world matrices be the same as the concatenated local matrices?
Has anyone made anything similar?
Don't I need the inverse bindpose matrices for something?

juhnu

April 23, 2005, 10:34 PM

Yes, should be same. I would try first exporting the world space orientations from maya and get the skinning algorithm done first and later add the support for the relative orientations and some animation blending, etc.

However your should multiply the current pose with the inverse of the reference pose before passing the matrix array to the skinning algorithm. Otherwise the all you get is a grazy warped mesh :)

juhani

mattlikens

April 28, 2005, 03:53 PM

Should the bind pose be local or world? Everything I try, warpy mesh... ho hum.

juhnu

May 05, 2005, 01:07 AM

in world space

This thread contains 4 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.