Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / 3D Theory & Graphics / my own 3D API (help please) Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

blackwindzx1

April 21, 2005, 05:28 PM

hi, i have to do a project for my "computer graphics" class that is like building my own 3D api.
The project consist on drawing a "3D" object (not using any 3d api), and build my own matrix class for doing:

-Perspective Projection
- Rotate the object around an arbitrary point (i already have this).
- A "from" and "at" function that specifies the "view vector" and the "position vector". Something like glLookAt(view,pos,up vector), but i dont have to do the up vector.

The problem is that i dont know where to start.
I think i will use SDL for drawing the object.
But i dont have any idea of how to do the Perspective Projection and the "glLookAt" function.

Can someone give an orientation? (the object has to bee drawn in the 3 axes, and the Z is going to be simulated using the formula to convert from 3 to 2 axes).

I have and excel file that draws the object and rotates it around an arbitrary point. I have to add the perspective projection and the view and position vector. (And program it of course).

This is the file:
www.blackwind.com.mx/3dhouse.xls
it rotates by pressing F9

Any help will be appreciated (Papers, tutos, examples...etc).
Thanks in advance.

mentalcalculator

April 21, 2005, 05:34 PM

google is your best friend!

Victor Widell

April 21, 2005, 07:46 PM

The opengl documentation has very good explainations of how the projectin matrix should be set up.

blackwindzx1

April 22, 2005, 02:17 PM

Victor Widell wrote: The opengl documentation has very good explainations of how the projectin matrix should be set up.

but not how to make one......

Randall Foster

April 22, 2005, 03:42 PM

You can find that information pretty easily I'd think.
But if you want some more direction and code for it.

Check out http://www.mesa3d.org/

It's an opensource OpenGL implementation.
So now for every OpenGL call you can see the code behind it!

Victor Widell

April 22, 2005, 07:01 PM

blackwindzx1 wrote: but not how to make one......

Not? Oh, then how did I manage to get it right myself? Did you even look at it?

blackwindzx1

April 25, 2005, 05:38 PM

thanks for that randall, and sorry victor, was my fault , i didnt find it.......

This thread contains 7 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.