Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / Game Design & Programming / Gameplay idea Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

Francois Richard

April 18, 2005, 07:27 PM

Hello all ! (constructive comments welcome, deconstructive...even more)

I just thought of this idea the other day : implement some kind of voice activated feature in a game, wich would give the player a boost of energy/firepower when he shouts in the microphone. Let's say you're a soldier in WWII, coming down a hill when you suddenly find yourself circled by ennemy units. Guns firing everywhere, your men are falling down and you know your only chance to survive is suppress this crazy fire for juste another 30 seconds, waiting for the reinforcements to arrive. The player could then storm out from his position, shouting like never, boosting his firepower to the extent of his voice.... you get the picture ;o)

Well just my little contribution to the neverending search for interactive gaming !

mentalcalculator

April 18, 2005, 08:18 PM

And then you'll wake up your neighbors!

RAZORUNREAL

April 18, 2005, 08:21 PM

Interesting idea, but I'm just gonna go ahead and point out all the problems I see with it.

1. Not everyone has a microphone
2. Not everyone is at liberty to scream as they play games, what with living with other people and not playing games in the basement.
3. How do you rate volume? Not all microphones are equal.
4. Cheating. Just shove the mic right next to the speakers and whenever you fire you automatically get a firepower boost.
5. It would really, really confuse the noobs. "Oh, sure, screem into the micophone and I'll play better. It ain't april 1 man."

But don't let all that discourage you, games could do with this sorta ingenuity, and it's probly the fault of people like me that they don't have it.

Francois Richard

April 18, 2005, 08:36 PM

1. Not everyone has a microphone 2. Not everyone is at liberty to scream as they play games, what with living with other people and not playing games in the basement. 3. How do you rate volume? Not all microphones are equal.

Could be part of an arcade game or something, or it would be a hit during Lan Parties ;o)

4. Cheating. Just shove the mic right next to the speakers and whenever you fire you automatically get a firepower boost. 5. It would really, really confuse the noobs. "Oh, sure, screem into the micophone and I'll play better. It ain't april 1 man."

The "boosting" effect would only last for some time, and would take some(or a lot) of time to replenish...

See, I got all the answers ! hahaha Thx for your support !

This thread contains 4 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.