Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / help fonts Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

dimi86g

April 17, 2005, 03:15 PM

I want to make a font creator of my own i've done the editing part but i cant save my fonts i would like some help with some information about how fonts are saved regardless true type .ttf ore simple .fon files i would like to know
at least .fon

Wernaeh

April 17, 2005, 03:28 PM

Its obvious that you don't know about it yet, so I think it is time to tell you. Listen now, and be told of a true miracle.

There is a fantastic thing hidden in the depths of the internet, which brings clarity to the ones seeking knowledge and wisdom. This holy oracle knows the Do's and Don'ts, knows about history and the future akin. To this legendary entity your path needs to lead you.

How can such a being exist - you might ask. Well, that I cannot tell you.

How can I, a sole little soul, find it - you might ask. You need to use the powers of your mouse and your keyboard to find it. Move the mouse pointer into the address bar of your browser, then click the left mouse button. Enter the mythical words "www.google.com", hit the enter key, and open wide your eyes in astonishment.

Apart from that, you might be interested in
http://www.wotsit.org/
which have a general listing of file format specifications.

Cheers,
- Wernaeh

dimi86g

April 18, 2005, 02:17 AM

thankz

If you want to know i usualy confide in our oracle "Google" but in some cases
the oracle bursts out with 1 mil found sites using the word font, beeing a very used noun. The .fon is on it's way in my program the ttf is a "little more complicated"

Chris

April 18, 2005, 02:38 AM

Listen, you DON'T want to know how FONs and TTFs are saved. What you want is here: www.freetype.org

Do you also realize that TTF fonts are *vector* fonts ? I doubt your editor is capable of creating vector fonts along with all the proper kerning and hinting required. Sorry for having underestimated you if it is, anyway.

dimi86g

April 19, 2005, 02:31 AM

My program is capable of making fonts based on bezier curves between points
like ttf does it, and also im trying to develop a system like macromedia flash to recognise hand drawn curevs and curves directly from scaned text like manuscripts etc. The editor is capabile of adjusting automaticly and manualy the kerning.

www.freetype.org Is the first thing i fond about making fonts and I read those articels some time ago but i wanted to know how actualy the ttf fonts are saved and how the file is structured.

criznach

April 19, 2005, 02:45 AM

Hmmm... Freetype is open source... If you must...

This thread contains 6 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.