Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / Game Design & Programming / frustum culling, Shadow in Directx 8.1 with Visual Basic Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

hendry

April 16, 2005, 02:48 AM

Hi, all

i'am newbee directx programing with VB languange. I want to make game engine use directx 8.1, i want to know how i use frustum culling and Shadow in my engine i has been looking a hundred of article but i cannot implemention that future in my engine :(

i hope there is anyone can help me, with pscode it's ok but i greatfull if anyone can use sample code in VB. pleaseeee ...

thank's

juhnu

April 16, 2005, 03:06 AM

frustum culling is not 3d api dependent. there are plenty of different ways how you can organize your objects and cull the ones outside the view frustum.

Very basic method is to check every object against the view frustum. Usually objects are bounded by a box or a sphere to accelerate test. That means you don't actually check the object but a bounding primitive around it. It is much faster to check a bounding box of an object than the object itself.

So for the very basic culling you need:

1. create bounding boxes for the objects (so the model is fully inside the bounding box)

2. define the view frustum planes. (you can create these straight from your view and projection matrices). You usually have 6 planes (think about a cut pyramid) which you can then use in the intersection testing.

3. check bounding boxes against the view frustum planes.

If this is something too difficult for you, it might be worth trying to spend a day or two reading some 3d tutorials or some good book.

juhani

hendry

April 16, 2005, 03:15 AM

well where i can find those book or article ? i have so many article about my prob ... i understand abiut how it work but i difficult to implementation in my engine ... huhhh >< ....

oke thanks anyway to replay my post

This thread contains 3 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.