Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / ok i tried but got lost Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

bigd1

April 12, 2005, 08:56 PM

ok can anyone help me. I want to create my first game like tetris in C++.

what kind of book will i need for c++ right now i have a book called c++ for programmers. Will that teach me because its not saying anything about game programming. Like i guess what im trying to say is will this help me with game programming still. and can you also tell me what else i need.

i have a compiler. and i also have another book called. windows graphics programming with borland c++. Please help

Reedbeta

April 12, 2005, 11:35 PM

Game programming is a specialized skill that MUST be built on top of general programming skills.

Don't worry about games for the moment. Just work through the two books you have, learning your basic C++ and windows programming skills. Once you have a solid understanding, then you may be ready to attempt games.

Jeroen

April 13, 2005, 04:22 AM

> Game programming is a specialized skill that MUST be built on top of general programming
> skills.

Just like any specialized branch of programming of course. Game programming is not a more specialized skill than, for instance, word processor programming or video-editor programming.

Scoot

April 13, 2005, 11:44 AM

I would argue that there is no such thing as "game programming". There is merely having the expertise in certain areas allowing you to produce a working product...

[S]

Chris

April 13, 2005, 12:14 PM

Yes, beginners tend to think that there are "special tools" which were specifically designed to make games. While you could argue that *some* applications aren't used for many other purposes, this is not the case in general.

A C/C++ compiler, a graphics/image program, a collection of sound effects, and there you go. There is not much more out there that the average hobbyist can get for his assistance.

That's also the reason why there is nothing specific about "game programming" in your C++ book. What's a "game" after all ? It's some algorithm that draws nice images and plays sound effects according to user inputs.

There are books that concentrate on "real-time strategy games" or "3D programming" etc. but they merely provide a selection of algorithms and methods to be learned.
Not that it's no worth reading some of them, but anything you'll find therein is likely to have been solved for free on some hobbyists web site.

I feel that most beginners think that there must be tools that bring you much closer to "game programming", but with the exception of Flash or DarkBasic and similar attempts this is just not true.

This thread contains 5 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.