Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / 3D Theory & Graphics / My OpenGL level Editor Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

nsilva

April 12, 2005, 03:56 AM

Hello everyone, my name is Nuno Silva, i'm 16 years old, and i made my first in-game level editor. for now, since i dont have net @ home, i cant upload the files (bin+src), so i'll just leave a screenie:
http://img201.echo.cx/my.php?image=gless16fi.jpg
Hope you guys like it! Oh, the 9 FPS are because i still dont have any frustum culling, and the models use way too much triangles.

Victor Widell

April 12, 2005, 04:43 AM

Looks cool.

What about the features?

nsilva

April 12, 2005, 07:10 AM

For now, the features of the editor are:
MD2 Model Loading (only from the program itself (i mean, it loads all the models the program has set to load in its coding));
In-Game design (can easily be implemented in a game)
1st person shooter-like controls;
Save/Load its own map format, which will be called .gmap (i dont know if it is already registered by someone, if so, please tell me so i can think of another ext, like .GhostMap);
And more to come.
Controls:
To move the camera:
wsad / up-down-left-right and r(up) f(down) (for the y position)

Select the object to use:
1-8 (will be replaced with +(add) & -(sub).
To place a object, you move to the location where you want to place the object and then click with the left mouse button.

To save / load:
F1 -> saves to Map.txt,
F2 -> loads Map.txt;

The map format (which i think noone else created a map format like that) is like this:

_BEGIN_FILE_
TOTAL_OBJECTS(number of objects + 1)
Object(object ID)
POS(x,y,z)
MDL_ID(Model identification)
_END_OF_FILE_

Here is a simple map with 1 object:

_BEGIN_FILE_
TOTAL_OBJECTS(1)
Object(0)
POS(-1.9148,2.675,2.1928)
MDL_ID(1)
_END_OF_FILE_

RAZORUNREAL

April 15, 2005, 03:10 AM

Looks good! It's great to see someone my age, I was beginning to think there must be something wrong with me.

Your map file could be alot more general, I know it's difficult to parse files but it's worth it in the long run. For instance, my option files go like this:

RandomArrayOrObject
{
SomeIntVar = 2;
SomeFloatVar = 2.6;
SomeStringVar = I am a talking monkey; //comment (note space after '=' is ignored)
AnotherArray
{
0 = 23; //These can be looked up with an int not a string
4 = 17;
}
}

You read this in when told to open the file and just keep it somewhere as a nice nested structure. Then you have a couple of functions, one which will move you down the structure by opening arrays or objects and another which returns variables from within them.

By the way, you shouldn't need to tell it how many objects there are, it should just add new ones as and when it finds them until it runs out of file.

This thread contains 4 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.