Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / 3D Theory & Graphics / (Direct3D) performance of a 2nd thread Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

L.e.Denninger

April 12, 2005, 03:55 AM

In my hobby project I have a main window, from where I spawn another thread+window that is doing some rendering.
The main-window is basicly just a dialog with some controls to change some render-vars etc.

When the 2nd window has focus, it renders at full speed,
but when the 1st window gets focus (I click on it :)), the speed of the 2nd window is cut in half.
Since my renderthread is the only thing in the world more important than my ego, I do not like this and want to keep it rendering at full speed.

I've tried adjusting my priorityclass and/or thread-priority, but that doesn't help.

Anyone got some bright ideas..?

juhnu

April 15, 2005, 09:44 AM

if the dialog window is on the top of/overlapping the rendering window the additional overhead caused by the clipping might reduce the frame rate. I am running the d3d renderer in its' own thread and gui in another and not experiencing any slowdowns, however I am using a single window which is split half for the controls and 3d.

I'm sorry not having any bright ideas.. heh

good luck

juhani

This thread contains 2 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.