Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / Obvious Icon Question Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

jloehrlein

April 01, 2005, 04:48 PM

Okay I've spent why too much time on something that should be completely obvious.

How do I add an icon to my exe so that it shows up on the desktop and windows explorer with that icon?

I'm using vs.net c++ and windowsXP

So far I've created an icon with 3 images 48x48,32x32,16x16 in windowsxp color mode (I'll do the other modes after I get this to work). I've added it to my project, which is a windows form app.

The only thing that's worked so far is overwriting app.ico but then the icon looks messedup, like it's using the wrong color mode.

Any help would be um... helpful

Thanks,

John Loehrlein

Reedbeta

April 01, 2005, 06:20 PM

I don't know much about Windows Forms, so I apologize if what I say is completely wrong or irrelevant. But normally, the icon used to display a program in explorer is just the lowest-numbered icon resource in the EXE file. You've added the icon to your project, but have you added it as a resource?

JasonZelsnack

April 01, 2005, 08:48 PM

In the solution explorer right click on your solution and choose "Properties" from the menu. Under "Common Properties"-"General" there should be something called "Application Icon". Set your icon there instead of copying over the default icon. As for it looking wrong, I don't know. Maybe that program is doing something wrong.

This thread contains 3 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.