Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / sleepy profiler Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

kiddygames

March 30, 2005, 07:07 AM

Hi,

I've downloaded the sleepy profiler for windows after the 28 March 2005 news here on flipcode, and test it on a little 3D app.

The result is quite strange for me, as sleepy show that my app spend a lot of time in comctl32 methods such as : KiFastSystemCallRet, RtlHashUnicodeString, and other RtlXXXXXX methods.

If I sum the percentage of time spent in those methods, I have more than 25% of my app time in there !!!

Anyone has an idea of who's the responsible for calling those functions ? I'm using openAL, openGL, directInput, win32 (for opening a window) STL for vectors, strings and maps...

Stéphane

kiddygames

March 30, 2005, 12:25 PM

well, it seems that the visual c++ profiler gives some different results, but it didn't profile in comctl32.dll so, I don't know...

Stéphane

Thomas Young

March 30, 2005, 01:12 PM

I haven't looked at the sleepy profiler, but assuming you can get the machine addresses corresponding to those spikes, what you can then do is to go back and run your app with breakpoints at those addresses, and then look at the call stack.

This thread contains 3 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.