Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / HOW To create compressed .pak files for sound & Images... Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

prafullm2w

March 28, 2005, 11:13 PM

Hi to alll.....

I am A J2ME game developer working with the Mobile2Win

while developing game i came across some game containing the .pak file instead of resources..

So i want to know how can i create the compressed .pak files for sounds & Images so the i can reduce the jar file size of my game...

Regards,
Prafulla@mobile2win.com
prafull_cdi@yahoo.com

Reedbeta

March 28, 2005, 11:44 PM

Usually a pak file is just a renamed zip file (so is a jar file for that matter).

prafullm2w

March 29, 2005, 01:29 AM

But I had got the pak file from one game and i tried to extract the same ....
But its not happning...

what will be the prob

gaiaap

March 29, 2005, 03:32 AM

Open the .pak file in question in your favourite text/hex editor. If the leading two bytes are 'PK', the file is probably a valid .zip archieve. In any case the header of the file should give you something to go on.

Illco

March 29, 2005, 07:22 AM

You can try wat gaiaap said. I don't know about WinMobile development, but it is not at all certain the PAK file you got is in some default or known format. Many developers build their own PAK files with custom tools -- often times with the intention to avoid others unpacking it.

This thread contains 5 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.