Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / 3D Game Libraries in C (NOT C++) - Suggestions? Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

zOinks

March 24, 2005, 11:27 AM

As an exercise in pure fun & learning Iíve written an extremely basic 3D engine in C loosely based off the Quake3 source code release. I implemented a basic 3D tetris game in the engine, and it runs nice. Great learning experience. I'm ready to start adding things like:

-text
-model loading
-collision detection
-BSP tree
-AI

But have quickly realized that re-coding these things from scratch is way too time consuming (plus Iím not the sharpest knife in the programmer drawer!) I guess Iíve gotten to the point where Iíd like to entertain integrating other GPL / free 3D libs into / beside my engine in order to grant the engine superior features (text, models, collision detection.) Iíve noticed most of the stuff out there is C++. Should I re-write in C++? Or is there still hope for straight C?

Thanks!

p.s. Iíve looked at the Q2 source code and itís so tightÖ hard to pull stuff out of there without dragging the kitchen sink with it if you catch my drift.

Anthony Rufrano

March 27, 2005, 11:15 AM

How about Jet3D. http://www.jet3d.com

[-WD40-]

March 27, 2005, 09:11 PM

please for the humanity's sake move on to C++ ;)

Chris

March 28, 2005, 03:30 AM

There's no need to stick to plain C, except if one is forced to be compatible with loads of existing source code.

Kafeen

April 03, 2005, 04:03 AM

There's nothing wrong with sticking with straight C. Where I work we almost always use C for development rather than C++. The only time I have used C++ while I was there was working on a conversion.

C++ has alot of nice features added to it but they also add alot of nice new code to your executables pushing sizes and memory usage up as well as slowing the code down a bit. It might not seem alot for PC programming but if you use consoles (PS2 especially) you really need all you can get.

This thread contains 5 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.