Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / Beam tree examples (?) Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

Vast

March 21, 2005, 04:12 PM

Does anyone have (or knows where to find) an example showing how to use beam trees?

I plan to use them for stencil shadows, but i can't find any demostrations or "easy-to-understand" papers.

A tutorial would be best, but since i highly doubt there are any, a demonstration would be nice.

Thanks a lot everyone!

Tim

Vast

March 22, 2005, 07:05 PM

Ok, since i get ever so many replies here (0), could someone tell me of any articles/papers they found useful when implementing a Beam Tree? (The flipcode one doesnt count, because i dont understand it at all).

Please, I really need this, since judging from what i heard, they would be PERFECT for doing faster shadowing... right now, I get about 15 fps with dot3 bump mapping, per pixel lighting, gloss mapping, and luminance maps on my GeForce 3ti 200. After I take away the stencil shadows, I get an FPS boost up to about 30 fps.

30 is good, considering how many programs i have running alongside the engine.
Im sure if i turn them off, the fps would rise to about 35... mabe even 40... *keeps on dreaming*

Anyway, please, any help with beam trees would be appreciated.

Tim

kiddygames

March 25, 2005, 02:08 AM

It seems that beam trees is not a very common subject over the net...

Here are some papers I found, the second one talk abound raytracing.

http://graphics.lcs.mit.edu/~addy/research/funk-beamtracing-jasa04.pdf

http://www.cse.msu.edu/~cse872/lecture11.ppt

I don't know anything abount beam trees at the moment, but I suppose that if you don't understand the flipcode paper, the best way for you should be to use another method for your shadow volume computation, there's a lot of papers talking about various way to do shadows...

good luck

Stéphane

Vast

March 26, 2005, 02:18 AM

Thanks! At last, Ill take a look at those. Hey, if i didnt understand that one, does it truly prove the end to all? I mean, i _could_ learn, just everybody else does... unless its unreasonable.

But thanks for those papers, ill read them immidiately (even though its 3:16 AM here =)

REgards,
Tim

This thread contains 4 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.