Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / chessgame in coulour-help wanted Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

deedebee

March 16, 2005, 01:53 PM

i am a painter-photographer who's been working for several years on a new type of chess game that's played in colour. i managed to get a general idea on my website, but would appreciate if somebody could give me some help to make the game more interactive.(i'm fairly new to gamedesign)
here's the link
--played with coloured pieces
http://www.theapplegallery.com/drag...ry11-transp.htm
--played with little carpets
http://www.theapplegallery.com/drag%20and%20drop+.htm
i managed to show things with the drag and drop system but need help with-(1)how could i put the pieces straight on top of the carpets?
(2)is there a way of counting the moves people make?
(3)any help or idea to make it more interactive
(4)i have seen somewhere a chess game in flash where the moves pieces made, where shown
here's the link http://www.newsandentertainment.com/zfchess.html
could i use something similar ?

--
website
http://www.theapplegallery.com/

Aaron Wirtz

March 16, 2005, 03:34 PM

your first link seems broken.

I followed the second and looked around, but aside from seeing the pretty images, nothing seemed to work in my browser (Firefox on Linux).

Also, I didn't see any clear indication what the rules are. (maybe that part would be obvious if I could atually drag the pieces or someting?)

I'm pretty sure I could hack together a CGI in Perl that could count moves, keep high scores, and enforce movement rules. (I was just starting on a traditional chess program in Perl the other day) It would require the page to reload every move though. (not a big deal since only the HTML would be different each time, the images would be cached.)

It also might be possible to to do purely in JavaScript or as a hybrid JS front end and rule enforcement and high scored through a CGI back end.

deedebee

March 16, 2005, 03:49 PM

hello aaron,
i'll give you the link again. hope it works now
http://www.theapplegallery.com/drag%20and%20drop+january11-transp.htm

i also noted you can't move the pieces in mozilla firefox
but they work on explorer

if not go to
http://www.theapplegallery.com/
and follow the link play a game

the same moves are used as in chess with the
exception that players leave the game once they find their complement
a bit more info here
http://www.theapplegallery.com/chessgame/somebasics.html

i also created some new players (where i'm using numbers) that will give a better explanation. i should have that up in the next couple of days

Victor Widell

March 16, 2005, 08:29 PM

It would be no problem to implement this in HTML,Javascript and CGI/php/asp/whatever.

any programmer worth the name could have a basic prototype up and running in a day.

Could you please tell us some more about the rules? the only thing I could find on the webpage says the goal is to clear the board on time, by combining pieces. Could you be more speciffic?

deedebee

March 17, 2005, 01:06 PM

hello victor,
the basic difference between this game and normal chess is
that the nature of the game is not one of attacking but of helping eachother
(i'm at present working (writing) on some form of play (story) where "war is over" and the two clans are invited to a wedding (hence they need to get there as soon as possible)
my initial idea was (still is)to play the game with coloured lights (additive colour)when for example (in the theatre)you shine red+blue+green toghether on the stage it will make white. so having 2 opposites would make a white light(RIGHT MOVE)), while for example green and red would create just another colour (-yellow) so (WRONG MOVE)
the players need to find their opposite colour ( that could be made easy or difficult)+ you can change the whole setup

over the years i have been applying different forms how this game could be played
(for example the game with the carpets i made with the help of a whole village in india and works on the same principle- finding their opposite player) same as the other game with the coloured squares . i also used numbers to make it a bit easier to understand (opposite players need to make nr "7")

the moves used are exactly the same as in chess (horse,bishop,etc...)

i hope that answers a bit what it is about but if you need some more info
let me know

deedebee

March 17, 2005, 01:14 PM

hello victor,
the basic difference between this game and normal chess is
that the nature of the game is not one of attacking but of helping eachother
(i'm at present working (writing) on some form of play (story) where "war is over" and the two clans are invited to a wedding (hence they need to get there as soon as possible)
my initial idea was (still is)to play the game with coloured lights (additive colour)when for example (in the theatre)you shine red+blue+green toghether on the stage it will make white. so having 2 opposites would make a white light(RIGHT MOVE)), while for example green and red would create just another colour (-yellow) so (WRONG MOVE)
the players need to find their opposite colour ( that could be made easy or difficult)+ you can change the whole setup

over the years i have been applying different forms how this game could be played
(for example the game with the carpets i made with the help of a whole village in india and works on the same principle- finding their opposite player) same as the other game with the coloured squares . i also used numbers to make it a bit easier to understand (opposite players need to make nr "7")

the moves used are exactly the same as in chess (horse,bishop,etc...)

i hope that answers a bit what it is about but if you need some more info
let me know

Rui Martins

March 17, 2005, 02:03 PM

To me it seems that there should be an optimum solution to your game, and once that is found out the game loses interest.

This happens because both players are cooperating, hence there is no Min/Max heuristic aplayable here, so it will coverge to a faster solution.

The only fun playability factor I see is to find that optimum combination. But once that is known, end of game for any user that knows about it.

But maybe I'm wrong, or didn't understand the game correctly.

deedebee

March 17, 2005, 02:55 PM

the games could be played as some form of tournament,
whereby certain people need a certain amount of moves while others can finish it with less.(so there actually could be a winner)
it could also be made visualy challenging and played in different forms with different set-ups.

deedebee

March 17, 2005, 02:57 PM

the games could be played as some form of tournament,
whereby certain people need a certain amount of moves while others can finish it with less.(so there actually could be a winner)
it could also be made visualy challenging and played in different forms with different set-ups.

Rui Martins

March 18, 2005, 03:56 AM

But if every one knows the smallest combination of moves, no one will win !

And as soon as one guy discovers a shortest sequence of moves to end the game, all others will copycat!

Victor Widell

March 18, 2005, 07:03 AM

Yes. The concept of cooperation is interesting, but will not work in the current design. Maby if the pieces were placed randomly in the start. (All teams could start with the same random permutation. There is no need to make everyone start with a different setup.) Then, one would have to improvise, not just learn a static combination of moves.

Rui Martins

March 18, 2005, 08:51 AM

Nice ideia, I like it, since it removes the determinism of playability, but then similiarities with a regular chess game will start to fade away, more then it already does.

Paulus

March 18, 2005, 10:24 AM

people have played chess for hundreds of years, maybe it's time for something refreshing :)

deedebee

March 18, 2005, 03:18 PM

the idea is also to make the games with
different set-ups (colours or forms)and levels (-easy, intermediate and difficult)
there's a multitude of ways the players and the board could look,making it easier or more difficult to find the opposite player.
i'm looking for somebody who could help me with a program whereby i would be able to change the players and positions (as a way-template- to create new games)

(ps. i once read this book "the glass bead game" (was a classic in the 70's and 80's) with an interesting approach to games . has anybody read it?)

Christian Sigg

March 26, 2005, 10:10 AM

Sure, Hermann Hesse's 'Glasperlenspiel'.
Are you planning to become a master ;-)
Are you a hippy? No offence!

Christian

Chris

March 26, 2005, 05:24 PM

Hesse still tells something, and always will. It doesn't depend on being a hippy or not. Now flipcode becomes a literature critics site.

deedebee

May 12, 2005, 11:23 PM

got an improvement on the previous version

http://www.theapplegallery.com/cchess/drag.html

hopefully the full version will be ready soon

feedback greatly appreciated

deedebee

May 13, 2005, 01:51 PM

i've just set up a blog yesterday (to do a bit of writing about it all) as i found that my website was becoming a tad disorganised due to keep adding stuff to it.
i hope a weblog will do more justice to the game as it'll be easier to organise the workings and toughts of it all.
http://colourchess.blogspot.com/

i hope to stay in touch with you people and feedback and ideas will always be appreciated (it's been quite a bit of a learningcurve for me and i wouldn't have been able to manage without the forums)
as a game with co-operation in mind i hope to evolve the game (might even be a role playing game) in a few directions

keep in touch

Dominique

deedebee

May 13, 2005, 01:53 PM

i've just set up a blog yesterday (to do a bit of writing about it all) as i found that my website was becoming a tad disorganised due to keep adding stuff to it.
i hope a weblog will do more justice to the game as it'll be easier to organise the workings and toughts of it all.
http://colourchess.blogspot.com/

i hope to stay in touch with you people and feedback and ideas will always be appreciated (it's been quite a bit of a learningcurve for me and i wouldn't have been able to manage without the forums)
as a game with co-operation in mind i hope to evolve the game (might even be a role playing game) in a few directions

keep in touch

Wernaeh

May 13, 2005, 02:47 PM

Heh I still like the idea of a cooperative game. It might be used to warm up the working atmosphere a little bit when starting a new project for example.

You should perhaps work some more on the graphics though, since it's a bit hard at times to decide which tiles go together.

Cheers,
- Wernaeh

This thread contains 20 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.