Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / Game Design & Programming / Where to go next? -- 3d engine design Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

maxam

March 13, 2005, 02:18 PM

I have just completed v0.01 of my own 3d engine. It has a fully working 3ds loader, texture manager and camera(temp version). What needs to be implemented next? I want a good working engine befor i start adding character animation, physics, network, so on. Can some one point me in the right direction. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

here is my engine ---> http://www.geocities.com/maxamfate/Blue3Dv0.01.zip

Scoot

March 13, 2005, 02:58 PM

I hate to say it, but really if you're looking to produce some sort of playable game or demo, then deciding that could be your next step - then implement the features that you need to make such a product. You'll most probably find that a lot of features arent needed.

Too many starting coders end up trying to create a do-all engine that can power any game type, and then never get round to creating anything playable from it.

Coding a game/demo to a creative end is after all a lot more enjoyable than coding a faceless engine with nothing solid to work for. After all, coding an engine is an impossible task, as it simply never ends - there will always be a new feature to implement - you need to decide when you have enough to create your goal...

Then again, thats just my ramblings, but im sure others will have something to say about it :o)

[S]

maxam

March 13, 2005, 05:22 PM

I see what your saying. I have a couple of games in mind and need a solid base for them. Enough features to get started, then I can expand to other features as needed. Also any info on the design, organization, layout etc would help.

Josh123

March 13, 2005, 10:15 PM

Will this be a free engine? I am currently about to start a 3d MMORPG.

Is this going to be able to create online games?

-Josh

maxam

March 14, 2005, 01:10 PM

Thats one of my goals for this engine, it will be able to easly create any type of game. I plan to make a solid base with a plugin system. Any feature you want add a module any you dont need leave out. At the same time i am working on a server for this system. I have two versions in development one runs on windows as a program and one is based on linux. The linux one will basically be its own operating system given 100% of resources (more users). I havent decided if it will be free or not, any code I use from other opensource projects will be provided with credit given where due.

icosahedron

March 17, 2005, 11:18 AM

Yes, let the game drive the engine. I started a couple of engines, and never got anywhere with them. My latest project is a game, and I'm doing much more on this "engine" than before. I'm focusing also on character animation before I do the static terrain since that is a more difficult problem to solve, at least I think.

Good luck.

LustDeville

March 18, 2005, 05:55 AM

I also tried to create a do-all engine, but what the real purpose is? I think it is to create games, not to waste energy in doing something that could extend to any type of gameplay or provide the most flexible architecture ever.
Well, I started the first project, which I believe, can be completed to some degree of actual "playability". I have rewritten the code twice for the level loader and space partitioning, succeeded to implement hardware accelerated skinning but this lead me to the stage where I walked my levels, watching some figures be in "idle" state. I decided to make some sort of Quake II/III type FPS, but the implementation of logic proved to be far more difficult than the programming of map loaders and other core engine functionality. IMHO the game has to be clearly defined in order for you to be able to program it! John Carmack generally rewrote all of the engines, he did not intend to create the ultimate engine. But he created almost the ultimate games :)
Currently I think that things should be more concrete than abstract, because really good ideas come with experience, not with visions while you sleep. First try, then second try, which will surely be better. No one can skip a step in the progress ladder... Completing a simple game can be far more boosting than torturing the brain with the idea that you should create something you are not ready for!
All this that I wrote is what I think, and pls. do not consider that I am trying to preach :)

L.e.Denninger

March 18, 2005, 06:06 AM

OMFG not you again :-D

Scoot

March 18, 2005, 08:22 AM

maxam wrote: Thats one of my goals for this engine, it will be able to easly create any type of game. I plan to make a solid base with a plugin system. Any feature you want add a module any you dont need leave out.

That's great... But... When we have an infinite amount of processing power available i'm sure all games will be coded this way. Unfortunately the evil that is optimisation lurks around every gaming corner - and in the interests of said evil, we must make design concessions.

Most games have large optimisations that are suited to the type of game that the game represents - i.e. An FPS will possibly use BSP or portals - unsuitable for an RTS, which will usually use an optimised octree. There IS no "do-all" optimsation data-structure, so unless you code all of these techniques and let the user select the most appropriate, your game will probably be underpowered.

[S]

maxam

March 19, 2005, 11:48 AM

I see the general feel is to create the engine for the game, that way you dont end up with alot of "fluff". But I just wanted features that were attactive for games today. While character animation would not be needed for my space shooter, it would be for my mmorpg. Im sure there are things common between the two and other games. I wanted to create a base with the common features, not too many that there is alot of over kill. Good camera, lighting, collision detection, etc. What are solid features needed in "most" games?

maxam

March 20, 2005, 01:47 AM

quick update, v0.02. I got a successfull load of 350+ objects from a 3ds file and put into a render queue. Dare I load more? Check it out.

here-> http://www.geocities.com/maxamfate/Blue3Dv0.02.zip

sorry if geocities complains about bandwith i will be building my own server shortly.

This thread contains 11 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.