Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / Game Design & Programming / A question about Quake3 BSP collision detection Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

cartoonman

March 09, 2005, 08:03 PM

Hi guys:

I am studying about Quake3 BSP file loader, Now it's ok, but when learning collision detection, the question is:

When learning a tutorial from devmaster.net (http://www.devmaster.net/articles/quake3collision/), it is very useful, but in some scene, I can't go through the archway, even I can see no occluder there, it seems collision is detected, I wonder whether there are some extra information about these archway, I don't know why, could any guys kindly give me some clues?

Another question, I don't load lump about models, what is the functionality about models in lump? maybe it is the clue for my collision problem.

Thanks!
Cartoonman

Reedbeta

March 09, 2005, 09:17 PM

The models lump contains model data for movers, e.g. func_doors, func_trains and such things. It shouldn't affect your collision until you want to render and collide with these objects. If I remember correctly a lot of the archways in Q3 are built with spline surfaces. Maybe you're not colliding against these correctly?

cartoonman

March 09, 2005, 10:14 PM

In fact, in some scene, even there are archway, the collision is detected correctly, however, in the scene that I want to import to my game demo, the problem above happens, so I was really confused by this problem, by the way ,is there any software that can display .bsp file format, especially for the purpose that I can control displaying some extra information, such as brush side, not only scene itself?

Thanks!
Cartoonman

This thread contains 3 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.