Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / protecting my plugin Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

danielflipcode

March 09, 2005, 04:46 PM

Hello,
I'm close to completing a plugin for Maya. I will be selective as to who will get to use the plugin. I want to take preventive measures from pirating. I know this is an impossibility.

Is there a way I can make my plugin code check to see if it is running on a specific machine?

Daniel

Reedbeta

March 09, 2005, 05:00 PM

You could try checking the MAC address of their ethernet card.

Of course, if a pirate gets their hands on a copy of the plugin, they will have little trouble finding and removing any protective code like this.

{FluffysWhole}

March 09, 2005, 05:05 PM

mac address
ms win install guid
ip address
pc network name

all have their support issues but are probably the easiest to implement.

alternately if you are offering the plugin for download mark each download uniquely (custom ftp server) and enforce callback registration on use.

Any of the above would guarentee I wouldn't use it :)

danielflipcode

March 09, 2005, 07:13 PM

Thank you both for your responses. Would you happen to have a simple snippet of code for me to go on. The scope of my programming knowledge is C++, Maya API and rudementary STL.

{FluffysWhole}, are there any specific functions or header files that I should look into to retrieve?

mac address
ms win install guid
ip address
pc network name

Daniel

{FluffysWhole}

March 10, 2005, 03:29 AM

For most of the network based stuff:
http://tangentsoft.net/wskfaq/advanced.html#macaddr
this site should provide you with more then enough info.

For the rest you need to learn how to play with the registry.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;140170

run regedit.exe and have a look around. But dont change anything unless you are willing to re-install :)

danielflipcode

March 10, 2005, 12:01 PM

I found sample code that retrieves the CPU Id in just a few short lines. Very easy to convert hex values to ints for a quick comparison and it compiles using one heaader file easily.

http://www3.ccw.com.cn/club/essence/200305/13942.htm

I will look into tangent soft and the registry. Thank you all.

Daniel

tokjunior

March 10, 2005, 12:19 PM

All of those checks will most likely end up as

cmp flag,1
jnz buggeroff

and is easy to crack, even for a beginner.
I'd recommend you to look into ASProtect,
which is a pretty nice encryptor, with the
possibility of password-protecting your file.

Chris

March 10, 2005, 12:57 PM

And relying on the IP is bad. I don't know about US online services, but here in Germany most people don't have really static IPs, they change with each initialization of the internet connection, or every 24 hours for those who are always online.

You would also need to store the values for comparison, and they can easily be found if unencrypted.

juhnu

March 10, 2005, 05:08 PM

does it really need protecting? If the plugin is really a useful one, I'm sure the people who are using that for non-hobby purposes are willing to pay for that too. I think having some serial you send users by email would solve most your problems. relying on computer's identity or such will just create you a support nightmare and it's not very convenient for the people.

juhani

danielflipcode

March 12, 2005, 04:53 PM

juhnu wrote: does it really need protecting? If the plugin is really a useful one, I'm sure the people who are using that for non-hobby purposes are willing to pay for that too. I think having some serial you send users by email would solve most your problems. relying on computer's identity or such will just create you a support nightmare and it's not very convenient for the people.

How does the serial number thing work? Would I have to hard code the corresponding serial number in my code.

The plugin is in beta version and I do hope to charge a super minimal fee in the future.

Daniel

Ray

March 16, 2005, 09:38 PM

You're not going to protect anything with a serial number. People will then just pass around that.
Instead of a serial number, use an asymmetrical crypto key that is locked to the user's computer.
If someone tries to pass their key around, it won't work. It might be a pain the arse for you
and the people who want to use your plugin, but I would do it anyway.

This thread contains 11 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.