Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / Game Design & Programming / Open Source Project Idea: Anyone Interested? Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

aschepis17

March 08, 2005, 08:05 AM

I am interested in building a cross-platform, open-source content creation environment for use in games. It would be similar to the Elder Scrolls Construction Set in that you can create all the items, characters, locations, etc in a virtual world, add scripts to the objects, and then save it to a data file that is loaded up by the actual game engine. It will be extensible enough to import popular file formats for character models and items so developers can continue to use the tools they are most comfortable with. I could see an application like being used by game developers as an easy, free way to create and organize content for their engines. Once the actual application is complete in its basic for I would want to build APIs in several languages (C/C++, Java, C#) for interfacing with the data files to make it easier for game developers to utilize the output from the application. If anyone is interested in a project like this let me know. If i get enough support (at least 1-2 more additional developers) then i will go ahead and create a sourceforge project and we can start designing. If you are interested shoot me an email at:

adam [dot] schepis [at] gmail [dot] com

This thread contains 1 message.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.