Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / im a beginner at this Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

brady

March 05, 2005, 12:06 AM

with me ebing a beginner and all i dont know anything about what to do and nor do i have the programs to do it with could someone plz help me?? if you can thanks alot

Draco9898

March 05, 2005, 01:17 AM

Not to be anal or anything, but generally people take you alot more seriously if you talk in complete sentances and with proper spelling...
Try These:

Darkbasic:
http://www.thegamecreators.com/

PlayBasic:
http://underwaredesign.com/prod_detail.php?id=42

I suggest these "basic" programming languages because I think it might be a little too much for a person to just leep into C++/ETC. Also, these programs are also fairly powerful in my opinion...

Chris

March 06, 2005, 04:48 AM

Depends on your dedication to the subject. Want to learn real coding ? Then dive straight into C++, but it'll be a bit hard. You'll not get anything remotely decent finished before about a year has passed. Want to see quick results ? Then Draco ist about right.

z80

March 06, 2005, 05:55 AM

"nor do i have the programs to do it with"

Do what? Start by setting up some well defined goals and then select the best tools for the job.

monster

March 06, 2005, 08:58 AM

Not to be anal or anything, but generally people take you alot more seriously if you talk in complete sentances and with proper spelling...

sentances = sentences
alot = a lot
leep = leap

Sorry, couldn't resist!

But yes, you're exactly right Draco9898; if you want a decent answer you need to ask a decent question and BASIC languages are so powerful these days, they're a great place to start.

cppkid

March 06, 2005, 12:42 PM

I started with basic on the ZX spectrum, and then moved onto using STOS and AMOS on the ST/Amiga (the DarkBasic of their day). Basic is great for getting started, but the language has poor syntax and lacks the elegance and power of C/C++ like languages (also basic is slow). The basic packages listed above provide all the tools you want to make games easily (like AMOS did). So it may be worth doing a couple of projects in basic to get started. But after that learn another language - it'll hold you back.

Other languages which i recommend:

Python (www.python.org) is a simple open source language for rapid development. It doesn't force object orientation on you and has opengl bindings. It has been used in commercial titles as an embeded scripting language.

Java (java.sun.com) once you get past the object orientatedness and learn that you don't have to do it that way java is fast (almost as fast as C++) and has opengl and other graphics libraries, it has a lot of support. It is also used commerically to develop games for mobile phones and for websites.

Also development tools for C++, python and java are free :)

This thread contains 6 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.