Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / Compiling Error on all files Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

POStudio

March 03, 2005, 01:50 PM

Hi, I am using Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 and I am having trouble with the compiler. Whenever I try to compile it gives me an error that says "error spawning c1.exe" on any file I try to compile. This has happened to me for a while now. Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Scoot

March 03, 2005, 02:11 PM

I'm pretty sure that it's CL.exe (lower-case), which is the VC++ linker. When i've has this problem before it was because the linker had frozen in the background, and VC couldnt start another instance.

When it happens again, CTRL+ALT+DEL and go into the processes tab, look for cl.exe and see if its present and using alot of processor time. If so you can end-process it and attempt to recompile.

Not sure if this helps
-Scoot

Fabian 'ryg' Giesen

March 03, 2005, 04:19 PM

C1 is the actual compiler.

Steven Don

March 08, 2005, 06:07 AM

C1.DLL is the C compiler frontend
C1XX.DLL the C++ compiler frontend
C2.DLL the x86 backend
CL.EXE the tool that wraps it all up.

Make sure these files can actually be found:
- go to Tools... Options...
- select tab "Directories"
- select Show directories for "Executable files"
- ensure that "C:Program FilesVisual StudioVC98BIN" is actually in there (adjust for the actual location of the VS install, of course)
- same for "C:Program FilesVisual StudioCommonMSDev98bin"

This thread contains 4 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.