Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / 3D Theory & Graphics / 3DS or OBJ loader for DirectX8 Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

Firlefanz

March 01, 2005, 09:12 AM

Hello,

I am using the Omega Components for Delphi, they work with the Clootie headers for DirectX8.

I need a 3DS or OBJ loader for my 3D Objects, unfortunately I only found loaders for DirectX9 and was not able to convert them for DirectX8.

Does anybody have a 3DS/OBJ loader that could work with DirectX8 Clooties Headers and Delphi 7?

Thanks a lot!

Firle

pauljan

March 02, 2005, 02:42 AM

If you can't find the time to write your own, why don't you just convert your objects to .X?

[edit]Just re-read my post and noticed how unfriendly that sounded. Don't take it that way, I was trying to give serious advice. As far as I know there aren't any DirectX8-pluggable 3DS/OBJ loader libraries written in Delphi available, most of us simply write our own loaders and plug them into our projects. The fact that you come here to ask for such code, means you don't have the time to implement your own (it isn't that much work by the way), so simply converting your objects might be the best way to go about it. Either do it be hand or automate it as part of your toolchain (batch-conversion).[/edit]

Firlefanz

March 02, 2005, 03:26 AM

Hello,

in fact there are many 3DS loaders for DX9 and Delphi, but I found none for DX8, and wasn't able to convert one to DX8. I am a 3D beginner, and I searched for converters from 3DS to X, and found Conv3ds in the SDK and Accutrans 3D, but both don't convert perfect huge objects with normals and UV. So I hoped somebody had (perhaps his own made) 3DS improter for DX8 he could give to me, that would be very nice.

Firle

Firlefanz

March 03, 2005, 01:32 AM

Hello,

I found a 3ds loader on Martin's side (minfos.de).

It was meant for DX9, and I tried to convert it.
I can compile it now, but my 3ds object looks somehow strange, it is flat and somehow stretched. Perhaps anybody can look into it and tell me what's wrong?

Here is the zip with both original and my version exe and source, sample included:

http://www.ericbehme.de/download/3ds.zip

Firle

This thread contains 4 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.