Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / A quick selection buffer question. Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

Vast

February 24, 2005, 01:33 PM

Hey everyone, I wish to use the selection buffer in opengl, to do selection in my editor, and I wish to know whether it is possible to increase its size? Dynamically if possible.
If it is possible, could you give me a little example on what command would do it?
Shouldnt be too hard.

THanks.
Tim

Victor Widell

February 24, 2005, 07:10 PM

I found the selection buffer to be very limited. It was a while ago I researched this, but I think there was a max limit of 256 objects.

I would reccomend to implement your own ray-object intersection code instead, or possibly use color codes for your objects and read the rendered pixel value.

Vast

February 24, 2005, 07:49 PM

but isnt color coding limited too? Im looking in Nehe's code right now, and he pushes only ONE name into the stack. Then he checks the depths of all objects. How is it possible? Also, i see him define buffer, as 512. Wouldn't that be the number of renderable objects?

Ray-object sounds a little more complex. Would you happen to have an informative link handy?

Thanks,
Tim

Per Vognsen

February 25, 2005, 12:32 AM

Another approach is to use occlusion queries.

Victor Widell

February 25, 2005, 04:53 AM

"Would you happen to have an informative link handy?"

No, but you cold do some research on raytracing, since it is basically the same thing.

This thread contains 5 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.