Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / Using Windows XP for Arcade System Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

ThePengoose

February 24, 2005, 10:54 AM

I am wanting some opinions from anyone who could give some advice. I am working on an arcade system that currently uses the Windows XP operating system. The games that are used on this arcade system are usually Win32 applications using either DirectX or OpenGL. My question is....

Is using the Windows XP platform the best way to go for our operating system and is XP stable enough to run 24/7 with periodic restarts? Is there a better alternative and/or is there a "stripped-down" version of Windows that would be more suited for this type of application? Perhaps, a different verious of Windows would be better.

Any ideas, suggestions, or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Rui Martins

February 24, 2005, 11:40 AM

If you are using MAME, you can always switch to a stable *nix, like linux, since MAME also supports *nixes.

Scoot

February 24, 2005, 11:45 AM

You might want to check out windows XP embedded, as far as I know it enables you to chop and change the core components of windows that you need - havent got a link, maybe check out MSDN or the microsoft site (god forbid).

-Scoot

Corre

February 24, 2005, 12:56 PM

Lots of ATMs run windows... so shouldn't be a problem.

Dr. Necessiter

February 24, 2005, 01:09 PM

As Scoot said... you'll probably end up running on XP embedded. Not only does it simplify and lighten the OS, but it usually ends up being cheaper for the coin-op manufacturer.

Are you working with TLC by any chance?

Victor Widell

February 24, 2005, 06:59 PM

Corre wrote: Lots of ATMs run windows...

...and they do crash sometimes. Not pretty.

Dr. Necessiter

February 24, 2005, 09:18 PM

I take back my previous comment. I just talked to some arcade people and they told me the price difference between XP Embedded and XP Home is only a few bucks!

This thread contains 7 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.