Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / Multiple Graphics Cards and DirectX Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

LozarB

February 24, 2005, 07:05 AM

Hello,

I'm currently writing an application that requires serious amounts of processing horsepower and memory. The advent of SLI graphics cards and motherboards offers the possibility of putting 2 graphics cards into the same machine. My question is - is it possible to add 2 cards in non-SLI mode? Having done so, is it possible to create 2 DirectX devices (using managed DirectX) and render on them seperately. (Not both 2 screen!)

What I would like to do is split up my rendering task for each device into seperate textures,index and vertex buffers. Render a portion of the task on each card. Then copy the render target from 1 card and composite it behind the render target of the second card*. The result is then displayed on screen.

I don't want to use SLI mode because the point is to get hold of the extra GPU memory this might offer.

Any info/experiences greatly appreciated. (Don't really want to buy a new mobo and card to realize its just not technically possible!!)

Cheers,
Laurence.

*(Results from gpubench with new PCI-Express cards suggest that moving the render target from card to card can be done in real-time).

SamJ

February 24, 2005, 09:04 AM

Sorry can't add much except I'm interested in the answer too - I would love to know if you can use two PCI-Express cards to do multi monitor. Currently to support more than 2 monitors you either have to buy some horrible Matrox card or use a plain old PCI card which doesn't have very good shader support (e.g. best PCI card I can find is the Radeon 9200 which has PS 1.2 I think).

This thread contains 2 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.