Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / loading time: Bf1942 UT2004 Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

fuzinavl

February 23, 2005, 10:44 PM

Compared to Unreal Tournament 2004 and similar games,
why does Battlefield 1942 take forever to load a new map/level?

When I increased my system memory from 512M to 1G, BF1942 loaded quickly.
UT2004 still loaded quickly, but there was no decrease in load time.

From what I hear, both engines use object data which is compressed text (not compiled).

What actions led up to such huge load times for BF1942?
( I want to avoid them )

Max

February 24, 2005, 01:01 AM

I think BF1942 loads slowly because of the huge, unique textures that they use on the terrain.

I don't really have any strong evidence for that though.

Max

fuzinavl

February 25, 2005, 09:34 AM

seems logical. I notice while modding BF1942 that the biggest archives are sounds and textures.
For every mod, there are 11khz, 44khx, and 22khz sound files. There should be only 44khz sounds in a download. If necessary they could be converted to a lower bitrate at runtime, then stored on disk.
The land textures are huge. Instead of having a large unique texture for each square of the map grid, what would be a better solution?
I was thinking a reusable base texture with roads and dirt patches / oil stains rendered over it at runtime. Would that have any bad visual effects such as distance rendering?

This thread contains 3 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.