Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / OpenSource C++ IDE Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

giladno

February 19, 2005, 08:34 PM

Hi,

Im using MSVC currently. The only alternative currently available is Dev-C++. The problem is that Dev-C++ is written in Delphi, and even if I want to contribute to the project, I cant. Since there are many tools already available for creating a decent IDE (GCC compiler, Scintilla for syntax highliting,...), I dont think it should be a problem to start a new project aiming to create a new open-source IDE for C++ which can replace MSVC (it can even support additional plugins...). If enough people will help and contribute, we can do this.

While thinking about it, I had one problem: Since Scintilla supports auto-completion (similar to VisualAssist), the only problem is how to find all the relevant class information and the objects definitions. Ill be glad to hear any ideas regarding that issue (I know Dev-C++ can handle it in version 5, but I cant read Delphi code...)

Gilad Novik

theAntiELVIS

February 19, 2005, 10:07 PM

Pre-compilation and RTTI are how you can implement auto-complete.

But your big issue will be integrated debugging.

Grgory Pakosz

February 20, 2005, 07:52 AM

you might consider using Eclipse + the CDT plugin

atm, the eclipse wiki explains how to use CDT with the Microsoft Visual Studio Toolkit 2003, however you won't have integrated debugging:

http://eclipsewiki.editme.com/InstallingCDTWithMSVisualC

Axel

February 20, 2005, 07:59 AM

Last time I checked it CDT was horrible instable

giladno

February 20, 2005, 02:17 PM

Yes, but Eclipse is a java project, and last time ive used it, it was pretty slow for me. Its ironic that all the free IDE for C++ are not written in C++ itself. I want to create an IDE which is not general purpose like eclipse, but is written for C++ programmers. Im not trying to start another project from scratch. As ive already said, I want to use existing projects and use them for creating the perfect IDE for C++.

Patrick Grawehr

February 20, 2005, 02:56 PM

I've just reinstalled eclipse (for a java project though) and found out that it seems to have improved a lot in speed. Maybe this is only because I now have a decent system (3.2Ghz P4, 1GB mem), but you could give it another try.

Vast

February 20, 2005, 06:59 PM

Ok. I dont really want to code an IDE (yet) and if i would, it would probably be for lua, but here is what you can do, to make it as flexible (in terms of development) as possible:

Take Fox-Toolkit (or any other GUI source) www.fox-toolkit.com and write a "shell" (in my terms) to cover the whole visual part. That's easy.

Syntax highlighting is going to be a little strange (never thought of how to do it) but i think its good to just search through the text, and if found a word with any character except for (insert alphabet here, both uppercase, or lowercase) on either side, then, highlight that word.

To get an object view, and stuff, just look through the code, possibly at the same time as syntax highlighting, and record any creation of objects, and methods related to them (same for classes, and anything else you feel like).

The only thing i dont know about (and havnt a slightest idea) is how to get a C++ compiler, but i am sure you can find something opensourced.

This way, you can release source to your app, make the app cross platform (compiler part still bothers me here) and bam!

You can share it with everybody.

So... here is the outline, if u like, improve and encorporate.

Tim

Rui Martins

February 21, 2005, 08:50 AM

A faster link to the intended content is http://www.CodeBlocks.org/

Chris

February 21, 2005, 09:57 AM

> how to get a C++ compiler

gcc ?!

Vast

February 21, 2005, 01:33 PM

Is it opensource?

Victor Widell

February 21, 2005, 07:02 PM

" A faster link to the intended content is http://www.CodeBlocks.org/"

No. My intention was to give you a link to another recent thread discussing the difficulties of writing your own IDE.

pauljan

February 22, 2005, 03:32 AM

http://gcc.gnu.org/

This thread contains 13 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.