Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / MS tech for a php programmer. Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

Victor Widell

February 19, 2005, 10:57 AM

I feel the need to learn some MS tech, like VB, ASP, C# and .NET. Mostly because every other employer ask for exactly this.

The question is: Where should I start? Good books to read, web resources, etc...

Now, I am allready quite experienced with PHP/SQL (3 webshops, communities, etc.), and C/C++ (a lot of unfinnished projects of varying quality).

I know how to create organized code with these technologies, and I have some experience of naÔve VB coding. I am not looking for the total basics, like "what is a [insert simple concept here]". More like "How do I organize my code for flexibility and maintainability in a large project?".

Thank you for your time!

Moe

February 19, 2005, 11:30 AM

Hi there.

"How do I organize my code for flexibility and maintainability in a large project?"

I think for that matter there are always the same principals. If you are experienced in PHP/SQL and C++ you should not have much problems with this.

In case you want to learn VB and ASP then I assume itís for web development. You will have an IIS as server. None of these should be a big issue though. You should find plenty of books about it in your next bookstore. Just buy one about ASP and your good to go. You will learn the rest from there. I am sure about it because I did it the same way and it took me about two weeks (not steady learning) to get a web page including a data base connection. It is really not a lot to get the basics. I found it much harder to learn PHP and apache (mainly because of the apache server witch I only know very little).

I think C# and .NET are more suited to pimp up your resume :)
The problem here is I can not give you much info about it. Too many things to doÖ havenít found the time to learn it yet. Normally I always end up with C/C++ :)

Guess my conclusion is: Go buy a book and just do it.

Hope it helped.

This thread contains 2 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.