Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / Shadows fading out with distance (?) Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

Vast

February 17, 2005, 04:52 PM

I am looking at a stencil shadows implementation by mark kilgard, http://web.archive.org/web/20010722050058/reality.sgi.com/mjk/tips/rts/

And i am wondering (since im not on my pc right now) does it fade out shadows over the distance? If it doesnt, any ideas how i would do it?

Thanks.
Tim

miles vignol

February 17, 2005, 05:24 PM

don't fade out your shadows, fade out your lights.

Vast

February 17, 2005, 05:27 PM

But the shadows are based on the light positions, and thats all, arent they?

I will fade out the lights, but the positions will stay the same.

Tim

miles vignol

February 17, 2005, 05:40 PM

i'm no shadow casting expert by any stretch, but it seems to me that a shadow doesn't fade out so much as fade into the overall diminished amount of light.

picture a campfire at night. shadows are cast into the darkness where they are indiscernable from the general lack of light.

Vast

February 17, 2005, 06:01 PM

But i dont think Mark takes light strength into consideration (i might need to take another look at the code).

I think he only takes a position of a light.

Tim

Paulus

February 17, 2005, 09:47 PM

take the light's strength (or even fallof if available) and your done... it's all about being creative with what you've got.

This thread contains 6 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.