Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / 3D Theory & Graphics / Mesh Generator Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

Enlight

February 17, 2005, 03:20 PM

Where can I find a simple mesh generator? I'd like to generate simple meshes, like planes with diferent number of vertices, spheres, boxes, cylinder.
Is there any tutorials on primitives generation out there?
Thanks.

ector

February 17, 2005, 04:32 PM

Remember that high school math? Now is when you need it.
It's not hard.

Enlight

February 17, 2005, 06:34 PM

I know its not hard... not hard for a box, or a cylinder but, what a about diferent types of spheres, geospheres, torus, or torus knots, or a chamferbox. Those are primitives too.
Even setting the vertices its easy too, but, tesselation or a consistent face definition its not easy.
I think there are also primitives created for fast triangle strip rendering out there.
I'm asking if anyone knows a web page or a tutorial or a sample code that can show this technics.

theAntiELVIS

February 17, 2005, 07:20 PM

Most mesh editors (like MilkShape for example) have "primitives" that do exactly this.

Enlight

February 19, 2005, 07:51 AM

yes, but where is the source code of milkshape ?

Erik Faye-Lund

February 21, 2005, 04:43 PM

i'd guess on the authors harddrives.

try doing a bit of thinking and some trig on paper, and you should be able to solve most of the problems. come back when you have a concrete problem.

Samuel Hornus

February 21, 2005, 05:05 PM

its really not difficult. spheres are easy, torus are easy (even with "triangle strips")
chamfer should be pretty straighforward (please, draw the stuff on a piece of paper, this will ease your implementation).
What is a geosphere ?
for torus knot see : http://www.cs.duke.edu/~edels/Tubes/ (if it can help ?)
--
sam

killah

February 23, 2005, 07:46 AM

You could take a look at Ogre engine's mesh format (www.ogre3d.org) or some of their classes (OgreMeshSerializer for example).

Good luck!

Fabian 'ryg' Giesen

February 23, 2005, 08:21 AM

killah, what does that have to do with Mesh generation?

killah

February 23, 2005, 10:41 AM

Yep! I've missed the word GENERATOR, sorry...
I don't know if Blender can generate meshes as theAntiElvis said of MilkShape, I say so because Blender's source is freely downloadable from http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Source_Code.12.0.html

Bye!

Ray

February 26, 2005, 09:54 PM

Please outline your straightforward steps to create a chamfer box.

Jari Komppa

February 27, 2005, 04:22 AM

I've written some pq-torusknot generation code, available at http://iki.fi/sol/code.html (public domain)

Rasmus Christian Kaae

February 27, 2005, 06:54 AM

Go for Poul Bourke :)

juhnu

February 27, 2005, 09:05 AM

he was still called Paul Burke last time I checked ;)

grusbanan

February 27, 2005, 12:48 PM

You are both wrong.

Paul Bourke

Max

February 27, 2005, 02:24 PM

The 3D Studio MAX SDK includes the source code for generating many of the primitives in 3D Studio MAX. If you have access to that, it may be a useful reference.

Max

juhnu

March 01, 2005, 09:06 AM

argh.. it's a real mystery for me how I managed to typo that :)

Peter Bone

March 01, 2005, 10:23 AM

I have some code in Delphi for building some basic meshes (rotational volumes, surfaces, platonic solids, geospheres) - but it uses my own format for storing the vertices, faces, edges, etc. You can find the code in the ModelBuild unit here
http://jupiter.walagata.com/w/engine3d/engine3dexe.zip

Enlight

March 01, 2005, 06:05 PM

Thanks for the information guys!

- Enlight

This thread contains 19 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.