Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / lighting tesselation question: Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

Vast

February 15, 2005, 08:40 PM

I was curious, just a thought.
I never did tesselation before, so dont blame me for poor understanding.

Is it possible to tesselate ONLY the space where the light may hit the surface in an extremely large and complex scene? For example, i have a wall, with just 2 polygons (triangles) and if i shine a default oGL light on it, ofcourse, it will look wrong, but also, since the wall is REALLY long, and is surrounded by complex scene, i want to tesselate JUST THIS LITTLE SPACE where the light shines. Is it possible? Is it smart? How fast would it be? Was it ever done before?

Tim

Simon Jacoby

February 16, 2005, 01:04 AM

It's certainly possible, but it won't be very fast. My suggestion is that you use per-pixel lighting instead. It's good at solving exactly this kind of problems :)

Cheers,
Simon

Vast

February 16, 2005, 09:29 AM

I see, what if i try to project a texture, instead of using per pixel lighting, or opengl lighting. Is it smart?

Tim

This thread contains 3 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.