Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / opengl cubemap lighting examples? Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

Vast

February 15, 2005, 08:10 PM

Hey... Ive looked EVERYWHERE... and i cant find it. I am not looking for a tutorial, or a great open source game, i am looking for a *small*, *easy to read*, and *extendable* example on cubemap based lighting. Please help me out on this?

I know the topic isn't simple, but i am looking for a simple implementation of a complex topic. Please understand me right. If anyone ever triped over a website that has the info, please tell me. Thanks.

Tim

EDIT: I saw Frazier's project. I think it shoves too much stuff in it to be understandable (keep in mind no one wants to spend month digging out something like this, where it is based highly on inspiration)

Victor Widell

February 16, 2005, 04:21 AM

"where it is based highly on inspiration"

Then you should give up coding right away.

Nico

February 16, 2005, 05:12 AM

Actually, cubemap lighting is quite easy. I wrote a small test program years ago. For what it's worth, I put it online for you:
http://www.amnoid.de/cubelight.zip
(with source - look at meins.cpp, the rest is framework code. Use Arrow keys and page up/down to move, uiojkl to rotate, shift to move faster, m to display the cubemap - rest of the controls is displayed onscreen. You will need DevIL to compile it yourself).

Note that this sample implements paraboloid map lighting and sphere map lighting as well and displays all of them for comparison purposes...the size of meins.cpp could be cut down by 75% (it's probably not too hard to remove the unwanted parts).

Vast

February 16, 2005, 09:19 AM

Thank you Nico, i really appreciate it.

Victor Widell, the problem with inspiration consists in the fact that i already have the lighting models implemented (means i do not push myself forward to implement more), i just wish to expand them whenever i feel like doing something, and also learn more about cubemap lighting, because it is rather more interesting.

Tim

This thread contains 4 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.