Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / Interface question Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

Paulus

February 12, 2005, 12:44 PM

I've been playing around with simple volume rendering lately (e.g. visualizing medical data from scans). But now I've come to the point I'd like to extend my little project to make it more complete/complex.
My first step is to make an ergonomic user interface; maybe something similar to the Photoshop interface (with a parent form and several smaller child forms.
I'll be honest with you that I'm really a newbie when it comes to programming with forms in c++.
The rendering of the volume data takes some time, so i want the interface to be as fast as possible (some forms/controls need to be updated in realtime). I could make my own user interface (with forms and controls) that i render manually with Pixel Toaster (as i do for the volume rendering). Or I could go for standard windows forms. Which is faster? Or is there another way to do this (maybe utilising opengl/directx) that is even faster/better? Maybe this whole question is crap and it doesn't matter that much. If the differences in speed are very slim I obviously go for the easy way, because...well...i'm quite lazy

A helpful reply would be really appreciated :)

Victor Widell

February 12, 2005, 04:47 PM

"Maybe this whole question is crap and it doesn't matter that much."

Yep. The time neede to update the interface is negligible compared to the volume rendering.

Just do the volume rendering in a separete thread so it won't lock up the interface.

Paulus

February 13, 2005, 07:08 AM

thanks for you reply! a little man inside me already said it doesn't matter that much ;) hopefully in a few weeks i can post a respectable IOTD (don't count on it though) :D

This thread contains 3 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.