Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / Help With My 3D Engine Project Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

Anthony Rufrano

February 10, 2005, 03:54 PM

I'm looking for a few people to give me a hand with programming a 3D engine that I inherited. My goal is to bring it into the future. Right now it uses DirectX 7. I want to bring it up to DirectX 9. I need the following people to do that:

2 Graphics Programmers - Should be familiar with today's graphics algorithms for lighting, spatial partitioning and optimizations.

1 Direct3D Programmer - Must be fluent with the Direct3D 9 API.

1 Tools Programmer - Must be familiar with MFC and/or Windows programming.

Those are not hard limits. I can use all the help I could get. Any little bit counts. Here's the engine: http://www.jet3d.com Please contact me by replying here, my forums at http://www.jet3d.com/forum , or by emailing me at webmaster@jet3d.com.

Thanks for your time.

Erik Faye-Lund

February 14, 2005, 04:56 AM

"Jet3D is a state-of-the-art 3D graphics engine built for high performance real-time rendering."

how can a dx7-engine be state-of-the-art? (unless you mean like the old amiga-demo by spaceballs :P)

zdax

February 14, 2005, 05:46 AM

Heh, "State Of The Art" was a mind-blowing experience when I first saw it.
"How the hell did they do that :-O ". Those were the days...

Anthony Rufrano

February 14, 2005, 05:51 AM

As I stated, I inherited this project. I have to change a lot of the text on the website. I haven't got around to it yet. Besides, in about a week it will be DX9, so it will be "state of the art".

Erik Faye-Lund

February 14, 2005, 06:36 AM

I'd say state of the art would mean stuff like completely shader-driven and pr pixel lit etc these days, but hey. Good luck with getting it up to date, always cool to see working and non-abondened OPAN SORSE(!!!) engines :)

Anthony Rufrano

February 14, 2005, 02:22 PM

I don't know if that was sarcasm or not, but thanks.

Just to let everyone know, we are not children taking on this task. I am 31 and the rest of my team is in their 20's and 30's. I've been in this industry since 1999. We are not beginners. We are a very diversified group. We just need more hands to make development move faster. We have a small community which is drawing buzz with the indie development scene. I want to be able to deliver them a product worth using.

Sp0rtyt

February 14, 2005, 02:29 PM

Explain how you are going to attract any users when there is already Ogre3D, which already does what you are dreaming of doing. I read your website and it seems you have already succeeding in wasting a lot of people's time:

"Jet3D has bugs, but it is not unusable. Many people started projects with it, but instead of fixing the bugs they decided to scrap their projects. "

Frankly, even if Jet did have the same capabilities as Ogre, I still would not use your SDK because it is unproven technology.

Anthony Rufrano

February 14, 2005, 04:06 PM

I'm not asking you to use it. I'm asking you to help destroy those bugs and develop it further so that it can be like Ogre3D or any other engine. The original post asked for programming help.

Erik Faye-Lund

February 15, 2005, 02:44 PM

I think you are really unfare to the guy here. If people abandon their project, it's more a motivation-thing than the engine they use having bugs. When you get free stuff, be happy with what you get.

Erik Faye-Lund

February 15, 2005, 02:44 PM

it wasn't sarcasm, we just have a "opan sorse" joke at work. ;)

Anthony Rufrano

February 16, 2005, 08:58 AM

You have no idea what's going on? How can you make such a statement? This engine was handed to me by the guys from Eclipse Entertainment to continue development. It's their engine. I just volunteered to keep development going. It has nothing to do with "unhappiness" with the engine. It has to do with completing a task that was given to me.

I see now that this was the wrong forum to post for help in. Nevermind.

Erik Faye-Lund

February 16, 2005, 09:19 AM

uhm, my response was to sp0rtyt, not you.

Anthony Rufrano

February 16, 2005, 09:59 AM

Ok. I apologize then. You didn't mention a name.

Erik Faye-Lund

February 16, 2005, 02:12 PM

i thought it was clear from the threading, but i supposed i was wrong. ;)

qesbit

February 23, 2005, 01:13 AM

Is this the same Jet3D that was once the same as Genesis3D? I remember messing around with it, but if it is the same Jet3D I remember it used Intel C++ compiler or something and I couldn't compile it with Visual C++ at the time.
I made some crappy demo game in Genesis3D but Jet3D was 'leeter' it had cooler features. This was like 1999 give me a break :-) At the time Jet3D was really state of the art in the open source scene.

Anthony Rufrano

February 26, 2005, 06:17 PM

Yes...actually it is. We have an alpha DX9 driver running now. As soon as that becomes stable, shaders will be implemented. We have also introduced a number of bug fixes and enhancements. I wish I could persuade you to give it another try. You won't be disappointed. :)

This thread contains 16 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.