Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / Drum controller input methods Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

Jacob Repp

February 10, 2005, 12:58 AM

I am working on a small side project for fun to test out some ideas that I have integrating music and puzzles together. In order to do this I have a small OGL test app using FMOD, GLUT, DINPUT. A lot of this is just thrown together from older projects. The only part left to figure out in the test app is the input. I have tried a couple different input methods available in dinput but none seem to be able to pick up the inputs.

The setup I'm trying to use is a 4 port PS2->USB adapter (superjoy) from lik-sang and a Taiko Drum Master drum. When I use this drum on the PS2 it's responds well and seems fairly sensitive.

I also wrote some code to handle win32 events generated from SetEventNotification in a seperate thread. As far as I can tell this API is total rubbish.

The closest I have been able to get is using the IDirectInputDevice8->GetDeviceData() call and interpolating based on timestamp. Dinput still seems to lose inputs though. When playing with a standard dualshock controller things seem responsive but the drum inputs seem to be too short/small and get left on the floor usually by the dinput subsystem. I'm not familiar with USB hardware or the PS2->USB interface to know much about latency limits either.

Any ideas?

Joakim Hårsman

February 10, 2005, 05:10 AM

Try using the nintendo kongas with a gamecube-PC adapter and pray?

Sorry no ideas besides the obvious: increase input polling rate.

Victor Widell

February 10, 2005, 07:10 PM

...or the Dreamcast maracas used in Samba de Amigo. But they can be pretty expensive...

This thread contains 3 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.