Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / cross platform splitters??? Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

Vast

February 07, 2005, 02:55 PM

How would i do splitters, without using MFC, and make them cross platform?

Thanks.
Tim.

P.S. Any GUI that you might suggest? Thats easy to use?

Axel

February 07, 2005, 03:18 PM

You could try wxWidgets

Vast

February 07, 2005, 03:32 PM

I thought about it, i even downloaded it, but i couldnt find any simple descent opengl examples. If you could point me to some, but simple ones, i would really appreciate it.

Tim.

Samuel Hornus

February 07, 2005, 03:55 PM

Vast wrote: P.S. Any GUI that you might suggest? Thats easy to use?[/i]

You should use Qt.
Especially considering this : http://it.slashdot.org/it/05/02/07/147223.shtml
And also considering this : http://artis.imag.fr/Members/Gilles.Debunne/QGLViewer/
if you plan to implement some 3D/opengl which is not a game.
The latter library is an astonishing 3D trackball library, extremely powerful. I suggest that you read its feature set : http://artis.imag.fr/Members/Gilles.Debunne/QGLViewer/features.html and its examples programs.

samuel

Vast

February 07, 2005, 04:28 PM

OMG THANK YOU!!! That looks like a frickin' gold nugget!!! Thank you omg thank you!!

Im goint to test it out immidiately.

I am overwhelmed with joy right now.

Tim

Axel

February 07, 2005, 04:54 PM

You still have to release your program under the GPL and open source it if you use the GPLed Qt .

Vast

February 07, 2005, 05:35 PM

Thanks for a reminder, yes, it doesnt bother me at all. It would just promote improvements of the editor by other users =)

Vast

February 07, 2005, 06:58 PM

i have to release ALL my source code??? that is just not cool.

Im open for more suggestions. All i need is something that supports splitters, and is easy to use.

Thanks.

Victor Widell

February 07, 2005, 07:15 PM

Look at the opengl samples in wxWidgets. They are _very_ simple to understand.

Lennox

February 07, 2005, 07:27 PM

http://www.fox-toolkit.org/

Like wxWidgets, but I prefer it. Just my personal preference though.

Vast

February 07, 2005, 10:03 PM

I quote the wxWidgets website:

OpenGL integration
A wxGLCanvas package is available to allow wxWidgets applications (currently GTK and Windows only) to support OpenGL. Very few changes need to be made to existing OpenGL applications.

What is the point of having a cross platform compatibility, if by implementing openGL, i still get stuck???

Well, im not sure what GTK is, i think its another GUI framework, or maybe OS family or something. But it does sound quite limiting.

I dont really like how fox looks, its ok, but something in me doesnt like it. Mabe the screenshots dont look attractive?

Ill give it a whack tho.

TIm.

Brandon Bloom

February 07, 2005, 11:23 PM

GTK is a Win32-like API for Linux/Unix/etc

An implementation is available for Windows. There are applications built on GTK that are cross platform when the user installs GTK for Windows.

Victor Widell

February 08, 2005, 04:49 AM

"A wxGLCanvas package is available to allow wxWidgets applications (currently GTK and Windows only)"

"What is the point of having a cross platform compatibility, if by implementing openGL, i still get stuck???"

The webpage does not seems to be up to date. Check this instead:
http://wxwidgets.org/supported.htm

According to this table, OpenGL is supported on Win32, GTK+, Motif, X11, Nano-X, MGL, MacOS and OS/2. (GTK+, Motif and X11 means Linux, BSD, Solaris etc.)

As you can see, the list doesn't speciffically mention Mac OS X, but I believe the OSX port supports OpenGL as well.

Vast

February 08, 2005, 08:15 PM

I forced myself to try fox, and u know what? I dig it!

On the screenshots, it just didnt look attractive, but now, it looks quite good! I think its the way to go. And its got some easy to compile examples, although it IS a little complicated in terms of how to use it, yet ill manage =)

Thanks everyone.
Tim

Brian Legge

February 08, 2005, 09:40 PM

Just out of curiousity, is there any specific reason you are interested in cross platform support? What are your requirements?

Vast

February 09, 2005, 10:26 AM

Cross-platform compatibility is essential in my application. I am making a game authoring system (think 3D Game Studio) and what i want is to make my program, and therefore the produced games, to work on all possible platforms.

Its not like cross-platform..ity is a bad thing.

Besides, since im in love with opengl, i want to utilize it to its full potential.

Tim

This thread contains 16 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.