Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / a good STL book for beginner Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

danielflipcode

February 03, 2005, 05:31 PM

Hi,
I want to learn more about c++ STL. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good book for a beginner.

Some background. I began with c++ for dummies to get my feet wet. The book spurred me on to Practical C++ by Rob McGregor (which is a great book). I then got c++ in 21 days just to see if the author had an interesting take on the subject. The book lacked what "Dummies" and "Practical" provided IMO.

There isn't a concept in c++ that confuses me except for templates. A book that exlains both templates and the STL would solve all my woes.

Thanks

newbie D

Victor Widell

February 03, 2005, 07:17 PM

Make shure you download the STL reference. (can be obtained from SGI:s web page.) It has saved me a lot of headache.

STL isn't very hard to learn if you just want some basic understanding. You can find enough tutorials on the web.

If you really want to see the power of templates, you could google for some tutorials on c++ meta programming. There is also a very interesting template vector class somewhere here on flipcode.

MachinShin

February 03, 2005, 10:02 PM

there are a couple good stl & stl related books.

my personal favorite book is by Nicolai Josuttis. (iirc, it's called " the c++ standard library: a tutorial & reference" )

another book by Matt Austern is also thought of highly as well.

--vat

Toby

February 04, 2005, 03:02 AM

Some good c++ books (not just STL, but you'll learn it if you read them):

The "Exceptional" series by Sutton.
The "Effective" series by Meyers.
"Modern C++ Design" by Alexandrescu is fun ;).
I still find myself picking up Stroustrup's "C++ Programming Language" as a reference all the time.

The books you got - no offence, but I don't think they'd compare at all with the ones I listed (not that I've read your ones - just going by the titles).

Bramz

February 04, 2005, 04:40 AM

who's Sutton? :P

Danny Chapman

February 04, 2005, 05:50 AM

MachinShin wrote: my personal favorite book is by Nicolai Josuttis. (iirc, it's called " the c++ standard library: a tutorial & reference" )

I would recommend this book too.

Chris

February 04, 2005, 08:49 AM

I know you know it, Bramz, but for everyone else: Sutton is possibly Herb Sutter.

This thread contains 7 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.