Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / Game Design & Programming / Starting Project, need reliable components. Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

smithprog

December 31, 2004, 08:59 AM

Hi all,

I'm about to embark on a project which will eventually be open source.

Whereever possible I want to re-use any existing code out there.

Basically it's a multiplayer 2D game with a zooming playfield.
It's played with a mouse and has a relatively simple graphical interface.

I'm going to be programming in C++ (I am a veteran C Programmer that needs to learn C++ !). When I look for an answer to a question about C++ I end up with more questions !!!

My main tasks currently are...
Find an excellent multi-platform opengl framework.
Find a good book on designing object orientated code for games.
Find some quality C++ code to use as a design reference.(I'm not yet experienced enough to tell the difference between good and bad)
Find a network API with some form of game matching using maybe PHP/SQL/sockets.

So far I have been tempted by ClanLib combined with OpenGL.

Can anyone give me any advice or point me at some good references ?

Thanks

M

Victor Widell

December 31, 2004, 09:32 AM

"Find an excellent multi-platform opengl framework."

Have a look at SDL. It's "just" plain C, but so is opengl. It is merely a library for window initilazation and 2D, but it can init gl too. If you want something more complete, you could look at Open Scene Graph.

"Find a good book on designing object orientated code for games."

I haven't read any myself, but those should be great ones all of them:
http://www.gamedev.net/columns/books/books.asp?CategoryID=17

"Can anyone give me any advice"

Start with the easy parts. Learn how to do Object _Based_ programming first. (Just plain classes, with constructors/destructors and encapsulation, no inheritence). Since you are a "C veteran", you sould read some about how the C++ features relates to (could be implemented in) ordinary C. It is not magic...

Once you feel comfortable with this, you will probably find yourself in situations where inheritence and polymorphism is useful. Read some tutorials on OO designpaterns, an you sohuld be able to grasp the concepts.

This thread contains 2 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.