Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / Game Design & Programming / Source Engine for prototyping Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

gerbopel

December 24, 2004, 07:23 AM

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone out there knows whether Valve will allow a commercial company to use the Source Engine for free while in the protoyping stage, obviously with an extremely limited license, under the obvious assumption that when completed and funding secured, the full license will be purchased for the game's proper development.

I am doing a marketing report for University and I believe that Valve's employee's are away for the holidays.

Many thanks,
Mike

p.s. This was posted in "gaming industry" as well, I couldn't see how to cross-post. If this practice is frowned upon then I apologize; this is my first posting at flipcode.

Axel

December 24, 2004, 08:02 AM

Why don't you prototype it as a mod for HLČ?

gerbopel

December 24, 2004, 09:09 AM

I do not know what restrictions (in terms of available features or codebase access) are placed upon MODs.

Axel

December 24, 2004, 10:19 AM

Why don't you just check the Source SDK? I don't think there are many.

theAntiELVIS

December 24, 2004, 04:38 PM

Pretty much all the "game" code is exposed for modding. It's very low-level rendering and data processing stuff that you can't get to. And if you really need to mess with that stuff you might as well write your own.

You can do just about anything with the mod SDK - if you have the resources you can write an entire new game. It will probably still be a frist person shooter, but even that can be changed (there were some overhead RTS-style mods done for Quake 2, and it wasn't as mod-able as HL2). I expect to see some racing games done with HL2 because of the vehicles and physics. It's pretty wide open.

gerbopel

December 25, 2004, 11:10 AM

Thanks a lot, that was a very helpful reply.

This thread contains 6 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.