Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / Game Design & Programming / Newbie Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

cybersquid

December 19, 2004, 04:46 PM

Hey,
I am a beginner in Game Development. Have just made a 2D car racing game using C++. Could any one help me where do i start for developing games and also using engines. I want to start from scratch. Please help.

Reedbeta

December 20, 2004, 03:16 AM

If you want to move to 3D and begin learning how to write your own 3D apps, the logical next step is to pick an API - OpenGL or Direct3D - and start learning how to use it.

It might be a good idea, if you've never done it before, to begin by modding an existing game or working with one of the many free 3D engines out there. This will get you accustomed to the unique challenges of working in 3-dimensional space, and then later you can begin learning how to write your own engine using OpenGL or Direct3D.

www.devmaster.net will be a good resource for you if you choose either of these paths. If you want to dive right in to an API, consult your local library or bookstore, as there are no shortage of books for people learning the basics of 3D graphics.

This thread contains 2 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.