Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / Game Design & Programming / My game journal Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

Schnoogs

December 04, 2004, 01:40 PM

Hey all!

Just wanted to let you guys know that I've set up a blog about the game engine I'm currently developing. It's relatively new so the blog has only a handful of entries. I welcome you all to come and visit and would love to receive feedback in regards to my engine and my progress on it.

Thanks a bunch!

http://www.assassinworks.com/gameengine/assassinengine.php

Moe

December 04, 2004, 02:33 PM

In general I like what I saw. A first thought about it after reading was, you sure paid kudos to the big guys. What I mean by that is that you rather talk about how you admire them than giving info about your engine. As I think paying your respect is a good thing I suggest to give the page a bit more structure and separate into an info part about the engine and an inspiration/credit part. The readers on flipcode are probably more interested in how it is done ;)

As you mentioned to start with the software only rendering I think it is a good idea. However I had the impression that you take this a bit too far. Itís like not learning Pythagoras but reinvent geometry. In the end the bigger challenge might just be math and physics anyway. So it is questionable that spending all the time and build an entire engine in software actually gives you much more knowledge. You could also build smaller projects representing/handling a specific topic. E.g. build only a software renderer and not an entire/complete game engine with physics and AI. But if you like to do it itís certainly helpful later.

Hope it helps.

Schnoogs

December 04, 2004, 02:50 PM

Thanks for the response. Besides describing my game engine I feel its important at some point to establish my initial motivations for developing it.

Since the blog is relatively new I figured now would be a good time to discuss more about myself and my background since the engine itself has only a few features to discuss. In the future I will spend only a fraction of my time discussing figures like John Carmack, etc.

I think you make a great point and I think you will see in the future that the main topic of discussion in the blog is the development of my engine and less on my feelings about the history of the industry and how itinspired me.

In regards to software rendering I see it as more of an intellectual challange. I think anyone can just cut and paste code or use simlpe hardware calls. I want to see if presented with the same obstacles I too can implement in software what the prominent game developers had to. Maybe its purely academic but I think it will be rewarding. I think one thing I learned in college is that anyone can use mathematical formulas but only a few know how to derive them. I want that level of understanding when it comes to my engine. I'm amazed at how many developers I know have no clue how to implement in code many of the features they use in hardware.

Thanks for your response...I appreciatte you taking the time to visit my site!

This thread contains 3 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.