Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / Game Design & Programming / Best way to prototype? Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

ezekiel

November 23, 2004, 01:11 PM

Hello everyone. I've got some design work done on a game and now its time to create a prototype. I've been waivering back and forth on the best way to do this. For the sake of SPEED, I am not going to start the code base for my new engine; rather I am going to either purchase the Torque engine and use it for my prototyping needs or I was thinking about using something like the Unreal or Source engine and make a mod.

Now before anyone starts making suggestions let me just give you a little more background. The game I am prototyping will be cross-platform and I would like to prototype it under PS2 and XBox. I have the PS2 dev kit and XBox would most likely be an extension later on. Again, I am not trying to make a full game, just a prototype showing some action and such.

I'd appreciate any suggestions for you. Thanks in advance.

E

I'M BRIAN FELLOWS

November 23, 2004, 05:51 PM

JUST START MAKING IT.

ezekiel

November 25, 2004, 04:41 PM

This isn't the kind of insight I'm looking for.

Brandon Bloom

November 25, 2004, 05:01 PM

More information needed...

* What type of game is it?
* What are you aiming to prototype?
* What doesn't need to be prototyped (ie. is exactly the same as some other game)?
* Is it really important to prototype it on the PS2 and XBOX? Would it be OK to prototype it on the PC and later port it to consoles?

Gaiiden

November 28, 2004, 05:10 PM

I'd suggest UML. It's a great tool for prototyping your game structure, if that's what you're looking for. It's a visual way to model (among other things) class heirarchies, so you can see how your game objects will interact, which classes will inherit from which classes, etc. There are a bunch of free modelers, but the one I use is Enterprise Architect - http://www.sparxsystems.com.au/ea.htm. The best part is that after you model evreything, EA will spit out framework code for you to just fill in.

Crowley9

November 28, 2004, 09:19 PM

Try something like virtools (www.virtools.com) perhaps. They support XBox. I'm not sure about PS/2.

Alex Herz

January 06, 2005, 10:03 AM

renderware runs on many platforms and comes with physics (havok I think) and a lot of other stuff if you like.

Alex

mentalcalculator

January 06, 2005, 10:12 AM

Renderware comes with their own physics engine( ex-mathengine ), not with havok ;)

Roger

January 06, 2005, 11:45 AM

Renderware is owned by EA... I wonder if version 4 will be
available to purchase for non-ea companies...

This thread contains 9 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.