Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / 3D Theory & Graphics / preference: Left/Right handed system? Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

Sandy McArthur

March 28, 1999, 09:09 AM

Does anyone have a preference?
Is there any mathematical advantage?
Which is more common?
Will either one cause more of a hassle when I import models from different programs?
Sandy McArthur

Jeroen

March 28, 1999, 02:35 PM

Sandy McArthur wrote:
>>Does anyone have a preference?
>>Is there any mathematical advantage?
>>Which is more common?
>>Will either one cause more of a hassle when I import models from different programs?

No, no, I don't know and no.
It's absolutely arbitrary which one you use, as long as you use the same all time. If you
want to import models from other programs, it's probably handy to write "flipnormals"
function to prevent objects from being displayed insideout.

Jeroen

steph

March 30, 1999, 04:47 AM

Jeroen wrote:
>>Sandy McArthur wrote:
>>>>Does anyone have a preference?
>>>>Is there any mathematical advantage?
>>>>Which is more common?
>>>>Will either one cause more of a hassle when I import models from different programs?
>>
>>No, no, I don't know and no.
>>It's absolutely arbitrary which one you use, as long as you use the same all time. If you
>>want to import models from other programs, it's probably handy to write "flipnormals"
>>function to prevent objects from being displayed insideout.
>>
>>Jeroen

I think there's a difference if you want to use quaternions, when using
quaternions you should be in a left handed system.

Steph

Thierry Tremblay

March 30, 1999, 01:10 PM

>>I think there's a difference if you want to use quaternions, when using
>>quaternions you should be in a left handed system.
>>

There is absolutely no connection between the hand-iness of a system and quaternions. When you convert from matrix to quaternion or the opposite, you take care of the system in use... But the quaternion itself doesn't care at all.

Thierry

This thread contains 4 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.