Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / 3D Theory & Graphics / QUANTERIONS: Q & A Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

ROME

March 16, 1999, 06:04 PM

Hi.. A guy on IRC #coders told me that I should be using quanterions in my 3D engine and not just matrices.. I was told my another 3D coder that matrices experience "gimbal lock", and apparently "fall apart" when the camera for instance is looking directly vertical. Quanterions apparently reduce or perhaps eliminate roundoff errors which matrices produce.

I would just like to know what are "Quanterions", why are they used, when are they used, are the used in conjunction with matrices, and etc etc.. At this point any info would be great. I will go and look for a tutorial now. =) ROME.

Sandy McArthur

March 16, 1999, 11:53 PM

ROME wrote:
>>I would just like to know what are "Quanterions", why are they used, when are they used, are the used in conjunction with matrices, and etc etc.. At this point any info would be great. I will go and look for a tutorial now. =) ROME.
At ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/he/hexapod/index.html there is a faq on matrices and quaterions.
I'm not familiar with them. I figure won't mess with them untill I think I've mastered the basics but I hope this help you out.
Sandy McArthur
http://thecity.eu.org

Colas

March 17, 1999, 05:40 AM

ROME wrote:
>>Hi.. A guy on IRC #coders told me that I should be using quanterions in my 3D engine
>> and not just matrices.. I was told my another 3D coder

>that matrices experience "gimbal lock",
>and apparently "fall apart" when the camera for instance is looking directly vertical.

yes there is two special case but you can quickly avoid them by adding an Epsilon
on one of you angle (epsilon = close of 0 float number)

yes this is a hack, but it work :-)

>Quanterions apparently reduce or perhaps eliminate roundoff errors
this is a real probleme if you use integer math
but with floats no probleme, you can use matrices

Colas

ROME

March 21, 1999, 07:07 PM

Sandy McArthur wrote:
ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/he/hexapod/index.html there is a faq on matrices and quaterions.
>>I'm not familiar with them. I figure won't mess with them untill I think I've mastered the basics but I hope this help you out.
>>Sandy McArthur

Thanks Sandy. The faq will be very helpful, and like you I will be staying away from whatever I do not need ( to avoid confusion ) as I am new to 3D coding as well. Thanks Again, ROME.

This thread contains 4 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.