Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / 3D Theory & Graphics / DirectX - Getting started Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

Dimitris

August 27, 1999, 10:51 PM

Can anybody help me in this:
i want some simple code on visual c++ which can create a full screen display with directx
and do some blt transfers.
Also i would like to know where can i find DirectX 6.1 or 6.0 header file and DirectX SDK file
Can anybody send them to me?

Thanks in advance
Dimitris.

Kurt Miller

August 28, 1999, 10:10 AM

Dimitris wrote:
>>DirectX SDK file
>>Can anybody send them to me?

The latest (full) Direct X SDK is around 100 megs, so I don't think
anyone will be able to send it to you easily. You can either order
a cd from Microsoft or search for mirror sites that haven't removed it.

Included with the sdk are plenty of examples which should cover your
first question.

-kurt

Joel de Vahl

August 31, 1999, 05:43 PM

Get OpenPTC... Just software 2D, but its a start. Im lerning myself at the moment, and its quite easy.

www.gaffer.org

/joel

Parashar Krishnamachari

September 04, 1999, 06:51 PM

Joel de Vahl wrote:
>>Get OpenPTC... Just software 2D, but its a start. Im lerning myself at the moment, and its quite easy.
>>

He'd still need the DirectX SDK, though... OpenPTC works alone only on non-Win32 platforms. But at least it's much more portable than even OpenGL(noting that GL has no official Linux port)!! Only for Win32 will you need the DirectX setup.
For the things he spoke of, he'll need any old DirectX SDK (depending on what OpenPTC docs say -- I only have PTC for X11), OpenPTC, and Hermes. It's interface is a LOT better than DirectX. And Hermes is a LOT faster.
You may have a few troubles regarding sound engines. Speaking of which, does anyone know of a sound engine that works smoothly w/ OpenPTC? I've heard horrors about Midas, and suggestions towards IMS(OpenCP). However, Midas actually RUNS on a lot of platforms.

- C.P.I. / ASMiNC

Why?

September 11, 1999, 02:19 PM

>>Also i would like to know where can i find DirectX 6.1 or 6.0 header file and DirectX SDK file

i've been playing with OpenGL and DirectX. here is a link where you can
(very slowly) download the DX 6 SDK (shhh! its a secret)

http://www.triax.com/ben/directx/dxsdk.html

Why?

September 11, 1999, 02:19 PM

>>Also i would like to know where can i find DirectX 6.1 or 6.0 header file and DirectX SDK file

i've been playing with OpenGL and DirectX. here is a link where you can
(very slowly) download the DX 6 SDK (shhh! its a secret)

http://www.triax.com/ben/directx/dxsdk.html

This thread contains 6 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.