Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / 3D Theory & Graphics / D3D backface culling question Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

Kirk Hammond

August 26, 1999, 01:27 PM

Simple: Does D3D IM perform backface culling on straight D3DVERTEXes before or after performing transformations? I ask this because if D3D does culling after transformations I could benefit from culling before I sent the vertices to D3D (to avoid D3D transforming vertices that it will cull anyway).

??

-kirk

Jaap Suter

August 26, 1999, 03:31 PM

Yeah, do the backface culling yourself before you send a
poly to direct3d. I don't know why direct3d (and OGL) have this
clockwise vertex culling cause I see no use for it.

Jaap Suter

Andrew Welch

August 26, 1999, 09:44 PM

My experience shows that culling before you send the polys to D3D will give you significant performance increases... especially when you start pushing a lot of polys to the hardware.. some people will say it doesn't matter, let OpenGL or D3D handle the culling, but it's strictly an issue of bandwidth.

Kirk Hammond wrote:
>>Simple: Does D3D IM perform backface culling on straight D3DVERTEXes before or after performing transformations? I ask this because if D3D does culling after transformations I could benefit from culling before I sent the vertices to D3D (to avoid D3D transforming vertices that it will cull anyway).
>>
>>??
>>
>>-kirk
>>

This thread contains 3 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.