Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / 3D Theory & Graphics / Triangle Lists to Triangle Strips? Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

alex morano

August 24, 1999, 06:47 PM

Is there an algo or good spot for some source to read over on this? I am trying to convert some fairly complex mesh models all from triangle lists into triangle strips... any help, mucho appreciado

Jaap Suter

August 25, 1999, 02:58 AM

Hi,

Cant you check whether two triangles share two vertices. If they do then they form a triangle
strip. See if you can connect more triangles untill no more share two vertices.

IMHO

Jaap Suter

Alex Morano

August 25, 1999, 07:11 PM

Jaap Suter wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>Cant you check whether two triangles share two vertices. If they do then they form a triangle
>>strip. See if you can connect more triangles untill no more share two vertices.

This was actually my original assumption. The problem with an algo like that goes something like this example:

You have a box, standard with 6 sides. The top faces share verticies with the side faces
and the side faces each share vertices with the two triangles that compose them. By replacing
those vertices that are shared, the ordering becomes most important. Just try the shared
vertex idea on paper and you'll soon realize that a box can't be wraped up in one triangle
strip, which the algo would output considering each face shares two verts in the next face,
which share vertices in the next face, et al.

Jaap Suter

August 26, 1999, 05:04 AM

Wrapping a box up in one triangle strip requires some intelligent strip searching.

I don't know of an algo that can do that :)

sorry,

Jaap

Andrew Welch

August 26, 1999, 09:36 AM

Try the Stripe homepage. Creating strips and fans out of poly data for complex models isn't trivial, but this should get you started. It gets even more complex if your models have multiple surfaces (i.e. multiple textures) because typically you do not want the strips to span two or more surfaces for performance reasons (i.e. changing the texture context etc)

SGI did the original strip/fan algorithm for the Stripe method, but I've never been able to find that online.

http://www.cs.sunysb.edu/~stripe/

Good luck.

alex morano wrote:
>>Is there an algo or good spot for some source to read over on this? I am trying to convert some fairly complex mesh models all from triangle lists into triangle strips... any help, mucho appreciado

This thread contains 5 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.