Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / 3D Theory & Graphics / clipping algorithm in d3dim Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

hojin

August 09, 1999, 11:03 PM

as I known, tombraider3 made by d3d.
I want to make adventure game like tomb,using d3dim.
if I just use zbuffer and clipper in d3dim not using any complex clipping algorithm,
does game speed good?
I have to choose whether d3dim or opengl.
which one is good at it?
andI wonder I have to use any other clipping algorithm that does not support in d3dim interface.
at last, which clipping algorithm used in tomb? bsp?,portal?,octree? ...

zinger

August 09, 1999, 11:32 PM

I am sure that the clipping done in OpenGL and Direct3D are very similiar in performance. However, if you don't want to spend useless hours trying to figure out Microsoft DirectX documentation then use OpenGL. For some reason Microsoft is notorious for being vague in their descriptions in their APIs. OpenGL has alot more proven examples. Another thing, OpenGL is portable!! DirectX is not that bad though. In fact DirectX 7.0 and 8.0 might brings some really nice features to their API. So if you already have a engine in place that uses their API then making use of the new features is easy.

If you can't decide which API to use then use both! Just setup an object oriented factory pattern that will use the appropriate graphics library. I am sure you can find something better to do with your time than this though. :)

I am not sure if you are confusing clipping with hidden surface removal, etc. For example BSP algorithm itself isn't a clipping algorithm ( unless you consider partitioning a polygon, that intersects a plane, clipping ). It just sets up a binary space partition tree that can be traversed in such a way that the polys are display from front to back ordering. You can use a portal algorithm in combination with the bsp tree to reduce the display list even further.
However, these algorithms shouldn't make in difference in your decision to choose the right graphics API for you.

Zinger

hojin wrote:
>>as I known, tombraider3 made by d3d.
>>I want to make adventure game like tomb,using d3dim.
>>if I just use zbuffer and clipper in d3dim not using any complex clipping algorithm,
>>does game speed good?
>>I have to choose whether d3dim or opengl.
>>which one is good at it?
>>andI wonder I have to use any other clipping algorithm that does not support in d3dim interface.
>>at last, which clipping algorithm used in tomb? bsp?,portal?,octree? ...
>>
>>
>>
>>

This thread contains 2 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.