Not logged in, Join Here! or Log In Below:  

News Articles Search    

Home / General Programming / Using a tripplebuffer scheme in D3D. Account Manager

Archive Notice: This thread is old and no longer active. It is here for reference purposes. This thread was created on an older version of the flipcode forums, before the site closed in 2005. Please keep that in mind as you view this thread, as many of the topics and opinions may be outdated.

JBL

October 03, 1999, 11:05 AM

Hi,
When i'm using a tripplebuff. scheme in D3D, do i have to keep track of both backbuffers? I know that it sais in the manual that i dont need to, but don't i have to attach the zbuffer to both backbuffers?

Jaap Suter

October 04, 1999, 03:08 AM

Since direct3D only switches pointers when a flip occurs my bet is
that you only have to attach the ZBuffer to the first backbuffer.

Jaap Suter

JBL

October 04, 1999, 06:52 AM

Thanx..

// JBL

Jaap Suter wrote:
>>Since direct3D only switches pointers when a flip occurs my bet is
>>that you only have to attach the ZBuffer to the first backbuffer.
>>
>>Jaap Suter

JBL

October 06, 1999, 11:11 AM

Hi again,
but that only applies to fullscreen apps, right.. so in windowed mode you have to attach the zbuffer to both backbuffers, couz you have explicity created those backbuffers.

// JBL

Jaap Suter wrote:
>>Since direct3D only switches pointers when a flip occurs my bet is
>>that you only have to attach the ZBuffer to the first backbuffer.
>>
>>Jaap Suter

Jaap Suter

October 06, 1999, 02:39 PM

If you have enough memory you can indeed explicitly attach two zbuffers to the two backbuffers.
But if there isn't enough memory you should create only one zbuffer and then switch it's attachment every time you switch the backbuffer rendertarget.

Jaap Suter

David ALLOZA

October 07, 1999, 02:31 AM

Using triple buffering in windowed mode is not efficient.... if you work under windowed mode you must create only 3 surfaces, the primary, the backbuffer, and the z-buffer attached to your backbuffer.

Using triple buffering in fullscreen mode is a good choice...we do it in our games.

Bye!

David
software developper at lankhor (france). http://www.lankhor.com

This thread contains 6 messages.

Hosting by Solid Eight Studios, maker of PhotoTangler Collage Maker.